"In" colors

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: "In" colors

Post by Josh »

Back when I was tangentially involved in the fashion industry (2012), I learned that the entire industry collaborates on a new set of colours each year. This encourages buying new clothes and to get people to throw away last year’s stuff. Media, entertainment also participate.

That particular year the colour was a bright red - there was a collaboration between Taylor Swift (whose album was called, well, Red) & American Greetings plus Target (both of whose corporate branding is also red). The colour palettes in the rest of the fashion industry followed.

It is amazing so many different businesses will work together if it means you can get more people to buy pointless stuff they don’t need.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:41 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:27 pm
barnhart wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:40 pm Some of the flow of trends is planned by the fashion and design industry. Google "color of the year 2024".
I checked, but none of the recent colors reflect the white and grays and blacks of housing colors right now.
For homes, a lot of it is what looks good on Zillow. With the internet there has been a standardization of home design and decor to some sort of least offensive common denominator. If you look at enough Zillow ads of newer and upscale homes they all start looking exactly the same. It is what sells.
My question is, why do certain home colors become the "in" colors that sells the house.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Maybe those home improvement shows play a role.
0 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

Is it because people want to be "in" regardless of if they actually like it or not?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:01 pm
Ken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:41 pm
Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:27 pm
I checked, but none of the recent colors reflect the white and grays and blacks of housing colors right now.
For homes, a lot of it is what looks good on Zillow. With the internet there has been a standardization of home design and decor to some sort of least offensive common denominator. If you look at enough Zillow ads of newer and upscale homes they all start looking exactly the same. It is what sells.
My question is, why do certain home colors become the "in" colors that sells the house.
When I was in a business making guitars, I learned colours were sometimes the most important part of a buyer’s decision.

Likewise, in auto sales, often a buyer (typically a female buyer) chooses what to get based on colour. They might even forego other options or pay more just to get the colour they want.

Interestingly the Quakers of old times and the Swartzies to this day held or hold stances against “fancy” colours.
0 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

Likewise, in auto sales, often a buyer (typically a female buyer) chooses what to get based on colour. They might even forego other options or pay more just to get the color they want.
Had to chuckle at this. Not sure why we talking about this today but we only chose the color of a car one time- each time we thought about getting a certain color we ended up getting the one that was a few thousand cheaper rather than order or have them bring the one we wanted from another lot.
Haven't a clue how others do it- but we even ended up with a rather glaring blue car because it was significantly less expensive- don't miss that car. :D
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:06 pmLikewise, in auto sales, often a buyer (typically a female buyer) chooses what to get based on colour. They might even forego other options or pay more just to get the colour they want.
Some conservative Mennonites do the same exact thing.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Josh

Post by Josh »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:33 pm
Josh wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:06 pmLikewise, in auto sales, often a buyer (typically a female buyer) chooses what to get based on colour. They might even forego other options or pay more just to get the colour they want.
Some conservative Mennonites do the same exact thing.
Back in the day, one of the people at the less conservative Mennonite church worked in a body shop, repainting vehicles black for the Beachy church which still mandated black cars at the time.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:38 am How do certain color combinations become "in"?

Are "in" colors in America, the same in other western countries?
The Pantone Color Institute.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:38 amAre "in" colors in America, the same in other western countries?
You tell us....

Mexico

Italy

Argentina

Chile

0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr