"In" colors

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: "In" colors

Post by Ernie »

barnhart wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:17 pm Maybe those home improvement shows play a role.
I wondered about that. It seems that somebody somewhere is responsible for changing the color schemes some how. Trendy people typically like whatever looks nice, and look down their noses at out of date colors, not realizing that they are influenced by the color choices of whoever happens to be the "thing picker" right then.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:13 pm
barnhart wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:17 pm Maybe those home improvement shows play a role.
I wondered about that. It seems that somebody somewhere is responsible for changing the color schemes some how. Trendy people typically like whatever looks nice, and look down their noses at out of date colors, not realizing that they are influenced by the color choices of whoever happens to be the "thing picker" right then.
House color trends are a slow moving phenomena. I remember a couple decades ago, seeing “accent walls” in newly built subdivision homes in Central Valley California. Nothing of the sort was anywhere else. I’d looked strange to me. Why would you paint three walls in a room the same neutral color, and then have one wall a completely different color?
About 5 or so years later, I began to see the trend in new homes outside of California.

Same when Tuscan kitchens and beige interior walls. Same with gray walls. By the time something originates in California, and becomes in style in say, Kansas, it is probably 5 - 10 years later, and solidly falling out of favor in California.
Although, with national home building companies trends may spread across the country faster than in the past. Obviously, regional taste will be a factor too, but still…
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:29 pm
House color trends are a slow moving phenomena. I remember a couple decades ago, seeing “accent walls” in newly built subdivision homes in Central Valley California. Nothing of the sort was anywhere else. I’d looked strange to me. Why would you paint three walls in a room the same neutral color, and then have one wall a completely different color?
About 5 or so years later, I began to see the trend in new homes outside of California.

Same when Tuscan kitchens and beige interior walls. Same with gray walls. By the time something originates in California, and becomes in style in say, Kansas, it is probably 5 - 10 years later, and solidly falling out of favor in California.
Although, with national home building companies trends may spread across the country faster than in the past. Obviously, regional taste will be a factor too, but still…
Builders like DR Horton and Lennar build tens of thousands of home across the country every year. They keep track of what sells and what doesn't in each region of the country.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:50 pm
RZehr wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:29 pm

Builders like DR Horton and Lennar build tens of thousands of home across the country every year. They keep track of what sells and what doesn't in each region of the country.
But trends move slowly across the country. These guys are perfectly aware that certain things sell in one area and not another this year. But next year, it may sell well in both markets. The home builders don’t have complete control, just because they know the data. They have to adjust with the consumer taste at the correct pace. Thats my point, that trends move region to region. It’s not like a light switch, where, bang, all the country simultaneously wants gray interior millwork next March.

Housing fads are much slower than fast fashion fads.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

RZehr wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:42 am Thats my point, that trends move region to region. It’s not like a light switch, where, bang, all the country simultaneously wants gray interior millwork next March.
Reminds me of the mint and salmon "Miami" colors. They were popular in Florida in the 1970s, in the midwest in the 1980s, and in a Budapest hotel room of all places in the 2010s.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:16 am
RZehr wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:42 am Thats my point, that trends move region to region. It’s not like a light switch, where, bang, all the country simultaneously wants gray interior millwork next March.
Reminds me of the mint and salmon "Miami" colors. They were popular in Florida in the 1970s, in the midwest in the 1980s, and in a Budapest hotel room of all places in the 2010s.
Budapest is either very far behind or maybe the cutting edge of fashion, predicting the next fashion.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

barnhart wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 7:26 am
ohio jones wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:16 am
Budapest is either very far behind or maybe the cutting edge of fashion, predicting the next fashion.
Retro as the young folks call it is a real phenomenon. It seems to cycle about every 40 years. The only things I have not seen recycled in terms of clothing are hoop skirts and dickies.

It has me wondering regarding that 40 year cycle: is it an aging generation that waxes nostalgic for the fashions and fads of its youth?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

MaxPC wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:09 am Retro as the young folks call it is a real phenomenon. It seems to cycle about every 40 years. The only things I have not seen recycled in terms of clothing are hoop skirts and dickies.
When were Dickies an "in" thing?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Ernie wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:21 pm
MaxPC wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:09 am Retro as the young folks call it is a real phenomenon. It seems to cycle about every 40 years. The only things I have not seen recycled in terms of clothing are hoop skirts and dickies.
When were Dickies an "in" thing?
Dickies :lol: I forgot about them. I wore them I think back in the 50's or 60's.

What I think has been a use of colour (if one regards black as a colour) are the car rims that after so many years started to use black. This obviously makes your car stand out as quite a recent model and I wonder if this was part of the strategy in 'keeping up with the Joneses'.

Also, I really like some of the new flat paint colours on some new cars. I wonder what will be the next colour strategy for cars. Perhaps they will bring back the wood look that was put on some of the station wagons years ago.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 12:51 pm What I think has been a use of colour (if one regards black as a colour) are the car rims that after so many years started to use black. This obviously makes your car stand out as quite a recent model and I wonder if this was part of the strategy in 'keeping up with the Joneses'.
All of the wheels on my vehicles are aluminum color.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited