Why Don't Mennonite Men Hug?

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Why Don't Mennonite Men Hug?

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:My rural (Protestant) congregation is very keen on hugging.
Interestingly, everyone hugs. Not just male-to-male.
A bit off topic, but thought I'd share anyways. :)
I have been in fellowships where everyone hugs everyone. I have been in fellowships where men hug men and women hug women so there is no fear of impropriety. I have been in fellowships where women can hug men or women but men do not hug men so there is no fear of impropriety. I have been in fellowships where people shake hands (in Germany especially).

Warmth and affection are good. Impropriety is bad. Cultures and subcultures have different ways of figuring out which is which. Let's be loving and warm without making people uncomfortable or tempting people.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Signtist wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:...and why you will never see a Mennonite man hug another Mennonite man.
Oh! Men aren't supposed to hug? I never got that memo.
:hug:

Surprised that hadn't made its appearance yet in this thread.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

Josh wrote:
Ernie wrote:
Josh wrote:Hugging is a relatively recent thing as part of a casual greeting. Tradition minded Mennonites are slower to absorb new outside cultural practices, and this is no exception.
Yes!

Plus, kissing is not a sign of affection or warmness. It is an act of obedience.
Ultra conservative men typically don't hug anyone including their children.
Is this true of Nationwide Fellowship men? I observe them hugging their children.

Of course, Nationwide Fellowship lies somewhere between intermediate conservatives and ultra-conservatives. I believe Cory Anderson put it in a class of its own.
Family members to Children, yes all the time in my church, but never grown men to men. I know this because I have tried this several times and have ended up getting weird side hugs/looks of puzzlement. I would like to point out that they find it acceptable to pat on the back (or at least tolerate it from me). I guess I am a guy who needs some physical touch other than on the lips. :hug:
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

ohio jones wrote:
Signtist wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:...and why you will never see a Mennonite man hug another Mennonite man.

Where were you, Signtist, that you missed that memo? I read that memo loud and clear but I did hug your Uncle George and one of your cousins when your aunt died. I also hug my grandchildren and sometimes other little people when I may. I can't hug my daughter so I hug her children instead - vicarious hugging, i call it. Our sub culture does not like hugging but I still appreciate it. I have also accepted hugs from worldly women on occasion!
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

ohio jones wrote:
Signtist wrote:

Doubt if I'd hug a little green man...
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Hats Off wrote:I can't hug my daughter
As in, she won't allow it?
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Hats Off wrote:
Where were you, Signtist, that you missed that memo?
Should have said, Got the memo, refused to read it!
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Signtist wrote:
As in - my wife wouldn't allow it - and it just isn't the thing to do in our culture.
0 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

Hats Off wrote:
Signtist wrote:
As in - my wife wouldn't allow it - and it just isn't the thing to do in our culture.
Fair enough. That begs a whole plethora of other questions, but maybe we should start a new thread.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

It is really discouraged that men hug men at funerals or visitation. Women hugging in such a situation is only slightly more common.
0 x