Priest delivers twin babies at cathedral

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Priest delivers twin babies at cathedral

Post by Ken »

Szdfan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:44 pm I've had several Hispanic students named Jesus. It's a common name.
Yes, common Hispanic name for boys.

Also common Hispanic middle name for girls. I have a Maria Jesus, Isabella Jesus, and a Valentina Jesus in class this year.

I have even more Hispanic students named Angel this year. A total of 5 of them, three boys and two girls.

And while in English, Jesus is not a common name, "Christian" is. And it is essentially the same thing, naming your child after Christ. Or follower of Christ. There are all manner of variations in English. Chris, Christopher, Christian, Christine, etc.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Priest delivers twin babies at cathedral

Post by temporal1 »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:15 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:46 pm Father Jesus?

My understanding is that the Father is not the Son
It’s a fairly common name in Spanish speaking cultures. I believe when referring to Jesus the son of God, most Hispanics would say “Jesuchristo” not “Jesús,” so it just doesn’t seem as odd to be named after him as long you don’t have the Christ part in it.

Traditionally, parents would name their child after the saints day they were born upon (or around). A child born on march 19th would be called “José” or “Josefina.” A child born on December 25th would be called “Jesús.” There was a feminine form that has apparently fallen out of favor so a girl might be called “Maria Jesús” today.

You know “Joshua” is just an English variant of “Yeshua,” right? :D

The English language is filled with scriptural names, there are many from which to choose, the apostles’, and saints’ names, remain popular, as well as more unusual OT names that show up. i’m sometimes surprised to hear an “unusual” name, only to look in scriptures to find it. lol

Looking into ancestry, i sometimes tire at generations of “Johns” and “James,” which can be so confusing due to repetition, sometimes on both sides of the family, then happy to find a Lancelot or Titus or ..

i knew about Jesús as a common SA name, did not know about the use of Jesuchristo, which adds to the picture.

i’m glad scriptural names remain popular.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN