When a dog's rear legs do not track with its front legs...

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.

What should be done for a dog whose rear legs do not track with its front legs?

A. Rear end alignment
No votes
B. Front end alignment
No votes
C. Four leg, all dog alignment
No votes
D. Chiropractic
No votes
E. Physical therapy
No votes
F. Cranial massage
No votes
G. Cerebral adjustment
No votes
H. Psychological treatment
No votes
I. All of the above (do not check any options above)
25%
J. Other
75%

Total votes: 4

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

When a dog's rear legs do not track with its front legs...

Post by Ernie »

Vote and discuss...
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: When a dog's rear legs do not track with its front legs...

Post by Soloist »

Where is the option to surgically remove them and attach wheels?
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I thought this is normal for some breeds
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Feed it.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Owner should get F. G. and H. for worrying about it.
1 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Have you ever met a dog that appears to “walk sideways,” or with its body curved or at an angle? They move forward in a straight line, but it looks like their back legs are a bit off to the side from their front legs.

This unusual-looking walk can surprise people who haven’t seen it before, but it’s actually quite common. So common, in fact, that there’s a specific word for it: crabbing. According to the AKC Glossary, crabbing (also known as sidewinding) is “when a dog moves with its body at an angle to the line of travel.”
The study of dog movement is actually quite a large field, and different breeds have different expected gaits. Dog owners with questions about their specific breed’s typical gaits can look this information up or consult a veterinarian. The AKC page on canine gaits is a good starting place, as is this article with more detail on gait research.

What do gaits have to do with whether or not a dog “crabwalks?” Well, you may have noticed that dogs who walk sideways are able to run in a straight line. That’s because in a full-on gallop, the dog’s feet move in a parallel pattern with the spine leading the way, making for a straighter body alignment. In a walk, trot, or canter, on the other hand, their feet move diagonally. For some dogs, those diagonal gaits necessitate crabbing to avoid tripping over their own feet.

Now that you know about the different types of dog gaits, you may be wondering: why do some dogs walk sideways? Well, if you watch people walk down the street, you’ll notice that everyone has a distinct walk. Dogs are the same way; their shape and size, the condition of their joints, and their training all contribute to their particular way of walking.

For the most part, dogs who “crabwalk” with their back legs a bit off to one side from the front are just built that way. In particular, dogs with short body length and long legs can have a hard time trotting in a straight line because their back legs interfere with their front legs. Some types of dog are more likely to walk sideways:

Border collies
German shepherds
Spaniels
Pointers
Vizslas

Any dog with long legs may be prone to “crabbing,” which helps them avoid tripping over their own feet. The body twists slightly to allow the back feet to pass to one side of the front feet. Dogs who “walk sideways” are actually moving forward and laterally at the same time (source).

If your dog has always tended to crabwalk or sidewind, chances are, that’s just the way their body is built. But if their gait changes all of a sudden, it could be a sign of something else.

Some reasons dogs may alter their gait and start walking sideways:

Hip dysplasia, a malformation of the hip ball and socket joint
Vestibular Disease, a sudden, non-progressive disturbance of balance that commonly impacts older dogs (more info here)
Injury or pain
If your dog’s gait changes suddenly and they appear to be uncomfortable, schedule an appointment with your veterinarian. But if they’ve always walked that way and it doesn’t interfere with their other regular functions, don’t worry. The vast majority of sidewinding, crabbing, or sideways-walking dogs are simply moving as their body demands. It’s just one of the many quirks of your unique best friend!
https://www.rover.com/blog/dogs-walk-sideways/
1 x