Mennonite verb tense usage

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Mennonite verb tense usage

Post by ohio jones »

Soloist wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:07 pm I didn’t grow up Mennonite, I would have been Baptist/nondenominational all my childhood.
8-)
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Post by GoodGirl »

We actually missed seeing our friends, who had wanted to visit our NICU baby, over this.

We were new to PA, and they made a comment that they ‘would’ visit us at the NICU that evening, but it came across as they ‘would’ as in, if it worked out & if they could. It came across to us as an offer.

So in the 30 minutes my husband & I left the NICU to eat that night, our friends showed up & weren’t allowed in since we were gone. We totally missed each other.

Another thing I notice is how they say “says” like “pays.”
We would say “says” with a short vowel sound for the A.
Our children grew up taking around their friends in PA & they say “says” with a long A sound.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Even odder is that the dialect of PA Dutch (and those the Dutchisms in English) are different in Ohio than in PA. I have no idea why.

My wife's brother in law speaks the unusual Bernese Swiss German (?) dialect. It isn't mutually intelligible with PA Dutch. There is a cluster of people in Muddy Pond TN who speak it.
0 x
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

This might be simpler to ask here than giving it its own post...

What's with the Mennonite use of "Sure!" as a often repeated conversation response? Is it just the cultural filler for awkward silences and times when they don't know how to respond? And is it geographically broad, or is this more of a Pennsylvania thing?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:26 am This might be simpler to ask here than giving it its own post...

What's with the Mennonite use of "Sure!" as a often repeated conversation response? Is it just the cultural filler for awkward silences and times when they don't know how to respond? And is it geographically broad, or is this more of a Pennsylvania thing?
Sure!
2 x
GoodGirl
Affiliation: Looking

Post by GoodGirl »

Let’s not forget “very well.” :)
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

"til"

Years ago, either when my wife & I had just married, or maybe before that, I had been to the doctor, and was getting new eye glasses. Her Mom told me "Your glasses will be at the Berlin office til 11:00."

Me, thinking: "I wonder where they will take them after 11:00...." :? :?

(Hint: 'til' means 'by'.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I’m only familiar with “til” as an abbreviation of “until”. In my case, I would show up prior to 11:00. If it meant “by”, then that is indeed confusing. Would have the opposite effect on my arrival time.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

In Indian English "til date" tends to mean "up to the present", as in "I was employed by Yoyodine, Inc. from 2018 til date."
0 x