Blessed Easter

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Blessed Easter

Post by Swiss Bro »

Just thought about the marvellous blessings of the sacrifice and resurrection of ourLord and Saviour Jesus Christ and thought I‘d wish you all a very blessed Easter weekend.

Feel free to chip in and bring some positive feelings into the doom and gloom of recent Mennonet debates (no criticism intended but I feel we don‘t have enough simple worship/devotion threads going).

With that said may God bless you and your loved ones during all trials and tribulations. Keep the faith and have trust in Him, He knows what He is doing even if we don‘t ;)
8 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Blessed Easter

Post by Soloist »

Swiss Bro wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:45 am Just thought about the marvellous blessings of the sacrifice and resurrection of ourLord and Saviour Jesus Christ and thought I‘d wish you all a very blessed Easter weekend.

Feel free to chip in and bring some positive feelings into the doom and gloom of recent Mennonet debates (no criticism intended but I feel we don‘t have enough simple worship/devotion threads going).

With that said may God bless you and your loved ones during all trials and tribulations. Keep the faith and have trust in Him, He knows what He is doing even if we don‘t ;)
Honestly it’s the same basic idea as a newspaper… controversy attracts more attention.
I signed up to do an orientation on Sunday before I realized my mistake… it’s likely the only Holy day I really care about. Our church has a shared meal that Sunday but delayed communion since we just ordained a new minister. (An outsider too)
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

G. K. Chesterton on Good Friday
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/g ... od-friday/
By LUTHER RAY ABEL / April 7, 2023 3:13 PM
Good Friday, the day of Christ’s execution, is a time to surrender the stage to civilization’s best writers and orators.
Let us read of joy on this day of death.

Chesterton meditates upon Christ’s least-disclosed trait at the close of Orthodoxy (thanks to Robert Alderson for reminding me of this passage):

Joy, which was the small publicity of the pagan, is the gigantic secret of the Christian.
And as I close this chaotic volume I open again the strange small book from which all Christianity came;
and I am again haunted by a kind of confirmation. The tremendous figure which fills the Gospels towers in this respect, as in every other, above all the thinkers who ever thought themselves tall.

His pathos was natural, almost casual.
The Stoics, ancient and modern, were proud of concealing their tears.
He never concealed His tears; He showed them plainly on His open face at any daily sight, such as the far sight of His native city.
Yet He concealed something. Solemn supermen and imperial diplomatists are proud of restraining their anger.
He never restrained His anger.
He flung furniture down the front steps of the Temple, and asked men how they expected to escape the damnation of Hell.
Yet He restrained something.

I say it with reverence; there was in that shattering personality a thread that must be called shyness.
There was something that He hid from all men when He went up a mountain to pray.
There was something that He covered constantly by abrupt silence or impetuous isolation.
There was some one thing that was too great for God to show us when He walked upon our earth;
and I have sometimes fancied that it was His mirth.

Alone, the events of that Friday simply were; only when considered in the dawn of the third day can they be understood as “Good.”

We can find that joy again at the conclusion of Chesterton’s poem, “The Earth’s Shame”:
Name not his deed: in shuddering and in haste
We dragged him darkly o’er the windy fell:
That night there was a gibbet in the waste,
And a new sin in hell.
Be his deed hid from commonwealths and kings,
By all men born be one true tale forgot;
But three things, braver than all earthly things,
Faced him and feared him not.
Above his head and sunken secret face
Nested the sparrow’s young and dropped not dead.
From the red blood and slime of that lost place
Grew daisies white, not red.
And from high heaven looking upon him,
Slowly upon the face of God did come
A smile the cherubim and seraphim
Hid all their faces from.
A smile. How good it is to know of. I simply cannot close a Good Friday post without the hopefulness of S. M. Lockridge:

It's Friday But Sunday's Coming by S. M. Lockridge / -4min
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Swiss Bro wrote: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:45 am Just thought about the marvellous blessings of the sacrifice and resurrection of ourLord and Saviour Jesus Christ and thought I‘d wish you all a very blessed Easter weekend.

That line I underlined reminded me especially of the apostle Peter. Matthew 16:21-23
From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
Peter was quite an example of having human concerns and not trusting that God knows what He is doing, I, too, can and often do, take on earthly concerns that rob me of my peace and joy as I rest in Him. The hymn goes - 'Trust and obey for there is no other way to be happy in Jesus but to trust and obey.'

What a great God we serve !!!!!!!
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
danfreed
Affiliation: MtValleyMenno/Faith

Post by danfreed »

The Lord Jesus has really risen!
Happy Easter, to all of you.

Thanks Bro Swiss, and others for writing about the only message that really matters.
I am encouraged thinking about Jesus death, resurrection and present intercession.

Luke 24:13-34
13 That same day two of Jesus’ followers were walking to the village of Emmaus, seven miles[c] from Jerusalem. 14 As they walked along they were talking about everything that had happened. 15 As they talked and discussed these things, Jesus himself suddenly came and began walking with them. 16 But God kept them from recognizing him.
17 He asked them, “What are you discussing so intently as you walk along?”
They stopped short, sadness written across their faces. 18 Then one of them, Cleopas, replied, “You must be the only person in Jerusalem who hasn’t heard about all the things that have happened there the last few days.”
19 “What things?” Jesus asked.
“The things that happened to Jesus, the man from Nazareth,” they said. “He was a prophet who did powerful miracles, and he was a mighty teacher in the eyes of God and all the people. 20 But our leading priests and other religious leaders handed him over to be condemned to death, and they crucified him. 21 We had hoped he was the Messiah who had come to rescue Israel. This all happened three days ago.
22 “Then some women from our group of his followers were at his tomb early this morning, and they came back with an amazing report. 23 They said his body was missing, and they had seen angels who told them Jesus is alive! 24 Some of our men ran out to see, and sure enough, his body was gone, just as the women had said.”
25 Then Jesus said to them, “You foolish people! You find it so hard to believe all that the prophets wrote in the Scriptures. 26 Wasn’t it clearly predicted that the Messiah would have to suffer all these things before entering his glory?” 27 Then Jesus took them through the writings of Moses and all the prophets, explaining from all the Scriptures the things concerning himself.
28 By this time they were nearing Emmaus and the end of their journey. Jesus acted as if he were going on, 29 but they begged him, “Stay the night with us, since it is getting late.” So he went home with them. 30 As they sat down to eat,[d] he took the bread and blessed it. Then he broke it and gave it to them. 31 Suddenly, their eyes were opened, and they recognized him. And at that moment he disappeared!
32 They said to each other, “Didn’t our hearts burn within us as he talked with us on the road and explained the Scriptures to us?” 33 And within the hour they were on their way back to Jerusalem. There they found the eleven disciples and the others who had gathered with them,
34 who said, “The Lord has really risen!
2 x
My spiritual perspectives are Jesus-centered, evangelical anabaptist, New Testament Bible based...
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

And not only the historical reality, but, because of it, the present reality that is at work in our lives....
Philippians 3:7-16
English Standard Version
7 But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. 8 Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which comes through faith in Christ, the righteousness from God that depends on faith— 10 that I may know him and the power of his resurrection, and may share his sufferings, becoming like him in his death, 11 that by any means possible I may attain the resurrection from the dead.
Straining Toward the Goal
12 Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. 13 Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus. 15 Let those of us who are mature think this way, and if in anything you think otherwise, God will reveal that also to you. 16 Only let us hold true to what we have attained.
2 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wonderful thought, SwissBro.

May God bless all of us with the graces of repentance, and a firm Faith in His Son, Jesus. He is Risen indeed!
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Yes, He is risen indeed!! Hallelujah!
2 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Icon of the Resurrection depicting Christ having destroyed the gates of hell and removing Adam and Eve from the grave.
Christ is flanked by saints, and Satan, depicted as an old man, is bound and chained.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

But Jesus has cheered the dark valley of sorrow,
And bade us, immortal, to heaven ascend.
Lift then your voices in triumph on high,
For Jesus has risen, and man shall not die.
One of my favorite Easter hymns, and one of the best arrangements:

Although I made a few simplifications, our choir didn't sound anywhere near this good.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited