Blessed Easter

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Swiss Bro
Affiliation: ETG

Re: Blessed Easter

Post by Swiss Bro »

There was a musical theater at our church yesterday instead of a regular service so my wife and I didn‘t attend. I am not too hot for these types of events but if it may attract some people who wouldn‘t set foot into a church otherwise, fair enough. I even played in a piece a few years ago myself, but I prefer a regular sermon. We already had a gathering on Good Friday so I didn‘t feel too guilty for skipping this one.

Anyway, so we stayed home and did an improvised private Easter service just the two of us, singing a few hymns and comparing the resurrection chapters in the four gospels, Mt 28, Mk 16, Lk 24 and John 20. It was very interesting and we managed to get to the core of many of the seeming contradictions, and the chronology works if you read properly.

I hope you had a blessed and edifying Easter day yourselves. In Switzerland, Easter Monday is a bank holiday as well, so I‘ll relax today and also try and spend some more time with my wife and the Lord.

Bonus question to the conservative folks: would you allow your wife to prophetise and pray in such a private setting? Strictly speaking it is a church gathering as we were assembled unto the Lord, on the other hand if it‘s just the two of us it‘s also like our private prayer time we have every day. A bit of a hybrid, really. I think as it was not a public meeting, the wife can prophetise and pray in such a setting (head covered).
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Swiss Bro wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:44 am Bonus question to the conservative folks: would you allow your wife to prophetise and pray in such a private setting? Strictly speaking it is a church gathering as we were assembled unto the Lord, on the other hand if it‘s just the two of us it‘s also like our private prayer time we have every day. A bit of a hybrid, really. I think as it was not a public meeting, the wife can prophetise and pray in such a setting (head covered).
I’m assuming you are using prophesy in the sense of teaching Scripture?
Generally practice in smaller groups would be to have men and women pray separately, with just two families I’ve seen it done where the women pray out loud with the men in turn. I certainly see nothing unscriptural at all with a husband and wife praying or discussing Scripture together.
I would say that if there was another family, my wife would stay silent on Scripture edifying, she might whisper her thoughts to me. She isn’t against praying out loud with this hypothetical second family but likely wouldn’t do it unless she felt led to.
She covers all the time so being uncovered isn’t applicable.
I would say if that is where your wife is (covering while reading Scripture or praying) there isn’t anything wrong with only doing that. The Scripture gives suggestions of women covered always but nothing in the New Testament to expand on it. Thus I would say there isn’t anything unscriptural with that although it would be if your group did so and you didn’t.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Soloist wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 7:37 am
Swiss Bro wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 1:44 am Bonus question to the conservative folks: would you allow your wife to prophetise and pray in such a private setting? Strictly speaking it is a church gathering as we were assembled unto the Lord, on the other hand if it‘s just the two of us it‘s also like our private prayer time we have every day. A bit of a hybrid, really. I think as it was not a public meeting, the wife can prophetise and pray in such a setting (head covered).
I’m assuming you are using prophesy in the sense of teaching Scripture?
Generally practice in smaller groups would be to have men and women pray separately, with just two families I’ve seen it done where the women pray out loud with the men in turn. I certainly see nothing unscriptural at all with a husband and wife praying or discussing Scripture together.
I would say that if there was another family, my wife would stay silent on Scripture edifying, she might whisper her thoughts to me. She isn’t against praying out loud with this hypothetical second family but likely wouldn’t do it unless she felt led to.
She covers all the time so being uncovered isn’t applicable.
I would say if that is where your wife is (covering while reading Scripture or praying) there isn’t anything wrong with only doing that. The Scripture gives suggestions of women covered always but nothing in the New Testament to expand on it. Thus I would say there isn’t anything unscriptural with that although it would be if your group did so and you didn’t.
Thanks, that makes sense.

Prophetise is simply speaking led by the Holy Ghost as set out in 1. Cor 14:

3 But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort.

Anyway what I meant is that if me and my wife hold a "formal" service, we are "the church", and therefore the rules about women keeping silent would apply. At the same time, we are just man and woman and the Scripture says that the woman shall ask her husband at home if she has a question. So if my church is at home and only consists of my wife and I, it's a hybrid setting where she can directly ask her questions (speak), but also prophetise and pray (head covered) because there is no one else that could be bothered by it.

We do have a bible study group of three couples, and I don't have a problem with the women praying or discussing the Scriptures there, as it is not a formal church gathering. What bothers me more is that they don't cover, but then, in our group (as a matter of fact in 99.9% of all churches in Switzerland, even the Mennonite churches) nobody covers at all. My wife wears the headcovering mostly all the time now. I only mentioned the headcovering to emphasize that this requirement applies to women praying and prophetising so if she does this in our home church / bible study, she needs to cover (which she does anyway).

I realise I am sidetracking the thread but as it is me who started it, who's to blame :-)
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I guess I wouldn’t look at that as formal. I mean I suppose you could figuratively speaking swap hats.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Swiss Bro

Post by Swiss Bro »

Soloist wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:33 am I guess I wouldn’t look at that as formal. I mean I suppose you could figuratively speaking swap hats.
Fair play, makes sense. Cheers!
0 x