"Law of Inverse Consequences"

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

NOTE: THIS IS A LIGHT-HEARTED THREAD. NO POLITICAL DEBATES.

Results that are the opposite of the expected results as initially intended or planned. One consequence is in the "reverse predicament" of the other.

A place to share those times you had the best intentions but the Law of Inverse Consequences brought it all to a halt.
Last edited by MaxPC on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
MaxPC

Re: "Law of Inverse Consequences"

Post by MaxPC »

Those cheap plastic chairs that seem to be in all the dollar stores. We had a couple of them that traveled with us in the motorhome for those guests that would drop in and share a meal. After a bit they looked rather bedraggled so I bought some paint to make them look better. The paint peeled and took off some of the plastic in the process. Wrong paint. :shock:

Binned the paint.
Binned the chairs.
Bought better chairs.
Total cost? I do not want to know.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

One year while I was in Bible college some students campaigned for student council with the campaign promise that they would go to bat with the school administration for "fair dress standards for the women students". The deal was that guys could wear nice looking jeans to class, but the girls weren't allowed, until after 2:30 in the afternoon. The administration claimed it was about modesty, but what about after 2:30 PM? OK to be indecent then?! Actually, I don't recall exactly what the dress code was for the ladies. Maybe they had to wear skirts or dresses until 2:30 PM.
So these people one the election, having won most of the female vote, perhaps. (Not all, because some of the ladies ALWAYS wore dresses.) AND, they actually DID go to the administration, who actually agreed that it wasn't "fair". So, new dress standards were written up and put into effect. Only the new rules made it "fair" by no longer allowing the guys to wear jeans to class. Personally, I thought it was rather funny, since I didn't wear jeans to class anyway - I had transferred in from a Bible Institute that required the guys to wear dress slack & a tie for classes, and I had continued to dress that way at the new school (at least for those first years there).
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:27 pm One year while I was in Bible college some students campaigned for student council with the campaign promise that they would go to bat with the school administration for "fair dress standards for the women students". The deal was that guys could wear nice looking jeans to class, but the girls weren't allowed, until after 2:30 in the afternoon. The administration claimed it was about modesty, but what about after 2:30 PM? OK to be indecent then?! Actually, I don't recall exactly what the dress code was for the ladies. Maybe they had to wear skirts or dresses until 2:30 PM.
So these people one the election, having won most of the female vote, perhaps. (Not all, because some of the ladies ALWAYS wore dresses.) AND, they actually DID go to the administration, who actually agreed that it wasn't "fair". So, new dress standards were written up and put into effect. Only the new rules made it "fair" by no longer allowing the guys to wear jeans to class. Personally, I thought it was rather funny, since I didn't wear jeans to class anyway - I had transferred in from a Bible Institute that required the guys to wear dress slack & a tie for classes, and I had continued to dress that way at the new school (at least for those first years there).
I have to wonder if an administrator decided to teach them about this law through an actual experience? I certainly would have. :lol:
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)