Favorite Secular/Non-Religious Vocal Music

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Favorite Secular/Non-Religious Vocal Music

Post by Neto »

Western Swing. (Example: Bob Wills.) And the music of that era - the mid to late 40's. Other older Western singers, like Bob's dad, Chill Wills (and yes, that was his legal given name), Frankie Yonkovik, Sons of the Pioneers, etc.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

There are so many. Where to start???

One of my favorites in the past few years when I’m feeling down about the state of the world is “Lean on Me” by Bill Withers. I’m also a huge fan of Leonard Cohen, especially “Come Healing.”

I also like “Welcome to the Black Parade” by My Chemical Romance.

I like melancholy songs. Music that makes me think or reflect. I like Billy Joel and Springsteen’s songs about everyday American life, the grind and the grit, the glory in the unseen.

“The Rose” by Bette Midler is hauntingly lovely. Same with Adele singing “I Can’t Make You Love Me” at Royal Albert Hall.

“Return to Innocence” by Enigma always makes me feel like I’m in another world, but that might be due to when I first heard it.

I find it sad how often secular music is frowned on by many Mennonite groups. The focus of Christian music is, by definition, very narrow. I need the music to which I listen to encapsulate more of the human experience than religion.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:48 am And it took 8 D batteries. I had something similar. Got me through many hot summer days stacking firewood!

Back on topic. These days, bluegrass I could take a liking to. And, believe it or not, Classical depending on the mood. When I worked nights, I would play this when I was trying to fall asleep after work.
When I was growing up we called these “ghetto blasters”, and some kids would walk around with them propped on their shoulders. They would burn thru set of D cells really quickly.

One kid was a bit “off” and he’d carry his around even tho his batteries were dead.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Josh wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:17 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:48 am And it took 8 D batteries. I had something similar. Got me through many hot summer days stacking firewood!

Back on topic. These days, bluegrass I could take a liking to. And, believe it or not, Classical depending on the mood. When I worked nights, I would play this when I was trying to fall asleep after work.
When I was growing up we called these “ghetto blasters”, and some kids would walk around with them propped on their shoulders. They would burn thru set of D cells really quickly.

One kid was a bit “off” and he’d carry his around even tho his batteries were dead.
We called them boom boxes. I think I had one of them first, and later a full on stereo with a CD player. My boom box was kept in service, though for outside stuff. The music I was into then is a far cry from now :o
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!