Fun and funny memories

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Fun and funny memories

Post by MaxPC »

This is a thread to share both fun and funny memories.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: Fun and funny memories

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 am This is a thread to share both fun and funny memories.
Is everything open game? Or are we restricted on subject matter? I got workplace stories to fill a book....
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

One of the delights of old age is the emergence of memories of youth. An ancient memory of one of my professors in college popped to the surface the other day as I watched one of my grandchildren try to “fake” his way through a lesson. He had only skimmed the reading, hoping to slip by with half answers or specious arguments. His mother sussed the plan and caught him out, providing a gentle reminder of the importance of thoroughness in life, including academics.

My old professor had a different approach to the reproach of a lazy student. In a loud, booming voice that rattled windows and was heard across the green, he would shout: “CODSWALLOP”!

It became a part of our vocabulary. No one wanted to be “codswallopped” for lack of thorough scholarly pursuits.
Last edited by MaxPC on Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:08 am
MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 am This is a thread to share both fun and funny memories.
Is everything open game? Or are we restricted on subject matter? I got workplace stories to fill a book....
As long as it’s clean, any and all are welcome.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville

MaxPC wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:13 am
steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:08 am
As long as it’s clean, any and all are welcome.
Most will start with "this one time on third shift...." 8-)
1 x

Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Funny at the time - was 'necking' once with a girl and the tires on my car melted the ice I had parked on and the car got stuck in mud. I didn't have money to call a tow truck so I walked to the nearest house and used their phone to call my dad for help. He came and had to knock on the windows of some other cars in the necking spot for them to move their cars so he could chain and pull us out of the mud. We got out and followed my dad home where we had some hot chocolate with my parents and laughed about the experience.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
steve-in-kville

Sudsy wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:15 am Funny at the time - was 'necking' once with a girl and the tires on my car melted the ice I had parked on and the car got stuck in mud. I didn't have money to call a tow truck so I walked to the nearest house and used their phone to call my dad for help. He came and had to knock on the windows of some other cars in the necking spot for them to move their cars so he could chain and pull us out of the mud. We got out and followed my dad home where we had some hot chocolate with my parents and laughed about the experience.
I have not heard that term in decades :o
1 x

steve-in-kville

My employer's original third shift had only four guys on it: our supervisor, myself and two others. Our supervisor had the mindset that as long as the work got done and no one got hurt, he didn't care about whatever horseplay may happen.

One night, one of my more "colorful" coworkers decides to take off his button-up uniform shirt and fashion it into a turbine, leaving him bare-chested. He was a tall lanky guy which made it all the more funny. He wore this makeshift turbine for the rest of our shift (still no shirt on), at least until any brass started to show up.

Interestingly, a week later it was found on camera footage while another boss was looking for something else. Not a word was said to any of us :D
1 x

RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I can relate to that. About 25 years ago, we had a swing shift, 3:00pm - 11:00pm. There was many wrestling matches and pranks, and worse going on. A bunch of young teenagers, mix of local high school and Mennonites. Lots of torn clothes, etc. The supervisor was young and tried to permit some, while trying to draw a line somewhere. Operative word being “trying”.
In later years the behavior became more regulated. Nowadays none of that would be tolerated there.
Last edited by RZehr on Thu Feb 02, 2023 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

My cousin and her husband just got married and she made a big meal for the two of them to eat while sitting on their new picnic table. They both were heavy set individuals and loved to eat. And being so in love they sat down together on the same side of the table. Well, as you probably have guessed, the table turned over on them spilling all kinds of food on them. And they began to laugh but they really got stuck and they couldn't easily get unstuck. The more they tried, the more they laughed and even began eating some of the food dumped on them. Eventually they got over the laughing and got free.

Another cousin just got married and he told his new wife how he liked pumpkin pie. So, she made him a pumpkin pie. Right out of the can expecting all the ingredients to come with the can. Well his first bite and facial expression brought tears to his wife. Wasn't funny at the time but they both laughed about it for years after.

I don't doubt there are many funny stories regarding home baking attempts.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit