Poll: How Happy are You?

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.

Choose the one that is closest to your experience...

Poll ended at Fri Dec 30, 2022 9:03 pm

1. In general, I am more happy now than in 2000.
40%
2. I'm a bit more happy now than in 2000
No votes
3. Not much has changed.
33%
4. I'm a bit less happy now than in 2000.
7%
5. In general, I'm less happy now than in 2000
20%
6. I'm not old enough to reflect much on the difference between 2000 and 2022
No votes

Total votes: 15

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Poll: How Happy are You?

Post by Ernie »

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/arch ... ca/672130/

Some people are less happy then 20 years ago, or else the younger generation is less happy than those who have died.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Poll: How Happy are You?

Post by Grace »

Happiness is often based on circumstances. There are times I am less happy or more happy, depending on what is going on in my life. But one thing I know for sure, my joy and peace are from the Lord, and that never changes.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

#7. Its complicated.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

I think I'm definitely happier than I was in 2000. I primarily credit getting married and having a family, as well as finding certain paths for my life (career and fields of service). At the same time, in some ways the sorrows of life have become more poignant as well. That said, I know various people who have all of the above and more, and are depressed and anxious. So maybe I should credit something else for happiness. It certainly isn't that everything in my life has gone the way I wished. Not even close.

Although I feel generally happy, there is an undercurrent of sadness that never seems too far away. I am of the impression that there is always a basis for sadness, anxiety, and depression, if you allow yourself to go there; and conversely, that there is always a basis for joy and happiness, particularly as a Christian.
3 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Grace wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 am Happiness is often based on circumstances. There are times I am less happy or more happy, depending on what is going on in my life. But one thing I know for sure, my joy and peace are from the Lord, and that never changes.
I am quite less happy, but it is because of circumstances. It is because of my three boys and the struggles and challenges with them, along with the issues I have had with MCUSA about 10 years ago that basically was me being forced out and I have not found a home yet.

Happiness comes and goes, but Joy is from the Lord. I have lost that connection generally. I find momentary happiness, but joy is quite fleeting right now.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Grace

Post by Grace »

Robert wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:12 am
Grace wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:34 am Happiness is often based on circumstances. There are times I am less happy or more happy, depending on what is going on in my life. But one thing I know for sure, my joy and peace are from the Lord, and that never changes.
I am quite less happy, but it is because of circumstances. It is because of my three boys and the struggles and challenges with them, along with the issues I have had with MCUSA about 10 years ago that basically was me being forced out and I have not found a home yet.

Happiness comes and goes, but Joy is from the Lord. I have lost that connection generally. I find momentary happiness, but joy is quite fleeting right now.
I am sorry Robert. In the past we had struggles with one of our children being very wayward, ending with that child being punished by the law. (I won't get into details). It was such dark time, because I felt like God rejected the prayers, we prayed for that child for many years. Things did get better and I see now that in many ways God did protect that child from many bad things that could have happened. I will pray for you and your family.
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:36 am #7. Its complicated.
I think I've learned to appreciate things more than I would have back then. My view on money and physical possessions has changed quite a bit. I do have some regrets where I wished I would have acted quicker on something and/or stuck out certain situations... perhaps I'd be happier now if those things would have happened? God only knows.

I find joy in different things than I did back then.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I am too old to feel any other way: I am simply happy to awaken each morning and to go to sleep at night.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I’m happy now. I was happy in 2000. Life certainly has changed, and so it is very different. But more, or less happy, I can’t say. Pretty great then, pretty great now. Not so great in the middle.
1 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Much happier now than in 2000.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?