Emigration from the US

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.

How likely is it that you will emigrate from the US?

1. Very likely
5%
2. Somewhat likely
5%
3. A Small Chance
47%
4. Would not consider leaving
11%
5. No preference for staying or leaving
No votes
6. Never really thought about this question
32%

Total votes: 19

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Emigration from the US

Post by Ken »

Grace wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:50 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 pm Not permanently.

But my wife is Chilean and we have talked about spitting time between both countries after we retire. I don't see that option.
Wow..."spitting" between countries. LOL. :laugh
Typing and spelling are not my strong points!
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:04 pm
Grace wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:50 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 pm Not permanently.

But my wife is Chilean and we have talked about spitting time between both countries after we retire. I don't see that option.
Wow..."spitting" between countries. LOL. :laugh
Typing and spelling are not my strong points!
I had to tease you, as I have the same problem. As well as proper grammar and punctuation.
0 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

My Dad has been living a modest, but comfortable life on social security and his German pension in the Kaliningrad oblast of Russia. However, getting money from his German bank account has been harder to access since the invasion started.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

We need to come up with a list of the countries you can "spit between". Maybe confining it to situations where you can still see both countries one from the other.

I've never been on the Rio Grande, but I reckon that would be one - Old Mexico and the USA. I think there is also a Red River between the States and Canada, north of North Dakota, but I've also never even been up there, let alone been on the river between the two.

But I've crossed over between Brazil and Bolivia a few times, where you have to take a speed boat "taxi" to cross over. That would be a prime opportunity right there, because it's already in a small, open boat.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Neto wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:42 pm We need to come up with a list of the countries you can "spit between". Maybe confining it to situations where you can still see both countries one from the other.

I've never been on the Rio Grande, but I reckon that would be one - Old Mexico and the USA. I think there is also a Red River between the States and Canada, north of North Dakota, but I've also never even been up there, let alone been on the river between the two.

But I've crossed over between Brazil and Bolivia a few times, where you have to take a speed boat "taxi" to cross over. That would be a prime opportunity right there, because it's already in a small, open boat.
Uruguay and Argentina
United States and Japan
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Neto wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:42 pm We need to come up with a list of the countries you can "spit between". Maybe confining it to situations where you can still see both countries one from the other.

Canada and Alaska have a huge border. Although your spit might freeze if you try it during the wrong time of year.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Neto

Post by Neto »

Ken wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:17 pm

Canada and Alaska have a huge border. Although your spit might freeze if you try it during the wrong time of year.
I was thinking there needs to be a "between", like as in a river. I suppose Niagara Falls would be another place.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

As to the actual topic here, I really don't know. We lived in Brazil for 18 years, and made a number of visits back there after that, some for a couple of months or so (maybe only 6 weeks?), and others for only a week. We have "saudades" (nostalgia) for the life there, and even for the country itself. But even though I fight feelings of patriotism for this country (The US of A), and sometimes desperately, I do still think that it's the best place to live, even for all of its (growing) faults. As for Abraham, I also had the opportunity to "return to the former country" (in my case, what is now Ukraine, or rather the part of it that is now largely under foreign domination). But I was never really inclined to go "back" there in the permanent sense. (I'm a bit sad now that I never went to visit while it was a possibility to do so.)

I've thought about this question for many years, probably first when the 100 year anniversary of my people's first immigration to the States rolled around. (That was in 1973 - the end of the first 100 years in the USA, I mean.) People were asking themselves if we had become so settled here that we would not be willing to leave, for Christian conviction's sake. I still wonder, and maybe even more now.

Do any of you all whose families have lived here for hundreds of years ever wonder about that? (I suspect that some of you have lived here longer than my people ever lived in any one place, with the first "displacement" taking place already during the lifetime of Menno Simons.)
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:45 pm My Dad has been living a modest, but comfortable life on social security and his German pension in the Kaliningrad oblast of Russia. However, getting money from his German bank account has been harder to access since the invasion started.
Let's include the Curonian Spit on that list of spit between countries.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
S A DeVault
Affiliation: Alien

Post by S A DeVault »

I also grew up spending time in two countries, I would spend the school year here in Wisconsin, and would spend summer vacation with my father's family in Pakistan. Until 6th grade it was the opposite, I would attend school in Pakistan then spend summer vacation in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, now that my family and neighbors know that I became a Christian, I cannot safely go back. If Pakistan were to ever become safe for religious minorities, I'd consider spending time there again
1 x