Emigration from the US

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.

How likely is it that you will emigrate from the US?

1. Very likely
5%
2. Somewhat likely
5%
3. A Small Chance
47%
4. Would not consider leaving
11%
5. No preference for staying or leaving
No votes
6. Never really thought about this question
32%

Total votes: 19

Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Emigration from the US

Post by Ernie »

This thread is for both fun and serious discussions.

https://www.hoover.org/research/would-y ... ted-states
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Emigration from the US

Post by Ken »

Not permanently.

But my wife is Chilean and we have talked about spitting time between both countries after we retire. I don't see that option.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

I doubt I'm going anywhere, but only God knows for sure. I could emigrant to Canada since my wife and children are Canadian citizens,.

I know a family that moved to Canada to escape Trump's America.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

A small chance.

When i first found MD, i was looking at dfferent options, Ecuador may have been first.
Time has passed, i don’t feel as able as i did. i want to be near my family, where ever they are .. presently, near Seattle, and central Michigan. i would enjoy either.

Before my granddaughter entered school, i tried to tempt my daughter to moving to Switzerland to get her into schools there. :mrgreen:
That didn’t happen. In the older grades, i doubt she could manage, going from U.S. schools, academically, i expect it would be hard or impossible.

In winter 2019, i was trying to interest my daughter in summer school in Denmark, she could go, i could stay with the child for those weeks. i was not convincing; no matter, the pandemic made it impossible, either way.

If my family left, i would want to be with them. i could enjoy it. i no longer think of going on my own.

i think quite often of Ukraine and wonder what forced migration would be - for any of us.
no one knows what the future holds. i take nothing for granted.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:26 pm When i first found MD, i was looking at dfferent options, Ecuador may have been first.
It would be high on my list as well. But a family from Ecuador just moved into my neighborhood; economic refugees from the conditions there. I guess wherever you are, there is always greener grass somewhere else.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

I spent my childhood living in different countries and traveling a lot. I feel like I’m putting down roots for the first time. So while I would like to travel again, I hope that I’ll spend the rest of my life in this house.
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:33 pm
temporal1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:26 pm
When i first found MD, i was looking at dfferent options, Ecuador may have been first.
It would be high on my list as well. But a family from Ecuador just moved into my neighborhood; economic refugees from the conditions there. I guess wherever you are, there is always greener grass somewhere else.
one of my motives was, i suspected if i moved to an exotic location, my family might visit more often, or follow me there! :lol:
i no longer have the energy for such risk-taking. :)

i still have occasional passing dreams.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

8 of the Cheapest Countries to Retire Around the World
Where to retire cheaply abroad — and how much you could save in each destination.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-i ... ire-abroad

Mexico
Ecuador
Costa Rica
Portual
Panama
Vietnam
Montenegro
Colombia
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:47 pm 8 of the Cheapest Countries to Retire Around the World
Where to retire cheaply abroad — and how much you could save in each destination.
https://www.travelandleisure.com/trip-i ... ire-abroad

Mexico
Ecuador
Costa Rica
Portual
Panama
Vietnam
Montenegro
Colombia
Part of that depends on whether you want to live like a Costa Rican or Panamanian, or live like an American.

Last time we were in Costa Rica I was curious and looked at some houses for sale. Prices for similar quality houses were pretty much the same as in the US, especially in nice locations. If you want say a 1600 sf home with modern appliances, AC, modern wiring, etc. the costs are pretty similar to the US if not higher. But sure, you can buy a cheap Costa Rican home with bare concrete walls, concrete floor, and no appliances or built-ins of any kind in some interior town for MUCH cheaper if you want to live like a more austere life. Which a lot of people are just fine with. It also depends on where you are coming from. Costa Rica looks very cheap if you are coming from California. Not so much if you are coming from Iowa or Oklahoma.

I had a Menno great aunt who retired to Lake Chapala in Mexico which is a popular American retiree destination. I was curious to see what costs are like there. Here's a typical 2 br. 2 ba. home for $295,000 which is way less than around here on the west cost, but more or less in-line with current costs in more central parts of the US. Nothing particularly fancy and no views of anything. Just concrete walls and tile floors and a basic kitchen: https://choosechapala.com/property/madera/

What is really cheap is labor if you want to hire a gardener or housekeeper or auto mechanic. But stuff actually tends to be more expensive if you need to buy a new car or TV or washing machine or something like that.

When I worked in Central America I knew lots of Americans living super cheap lives down there. But they were super cheap lives. You can get a single-wide trailer and live on rice and beans in rural Arkansas for super cheap too. And those who were younger and trying to make a living running businesses in Central America were not making much.

The trick is to earn dollars and spend pesos so to speak.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 pm Not permanently.

But my wife is Chilean and we have talked about spitting time between both countries after we retire. I don't see that option.
Wow..."spitting" between countries. LOL. :laugh
1 x