I think it is funny

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: I think it is funny

Post by mike »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Saw this on FB..
:oops:
Mennonites and the Amish produce more than 25% of our nation's crops. Put them in charge of feeding America. They don't hire illegals, their moral code is unquestionable. They are not in it for profit , they are in it for God. America's true patriots.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

That sandwich is making me hungry. :mrgreen:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
mike

Post by mike »

MaxPC wrote:That sandwich is making me hungry. :mrgreen:
If you were camping in my vicinity I'd be happy to give you a sandwich from my café. However, serving a jumbo bologna sandwich is beneath my dignity. A burger at least? :mrgreen:
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

mike wrote:
If you were camping in my vicinity I'd be happy to give you a sandwich from my café. However, serving a jumbo bologna sandwich is beneath my dignity. A burger at least? :mrgreen:
Oh come on! 8-)

Add a bit of mustard or horseradish, and maybe a couple slices of onion. Maybe use garlic spread on one of the pieces of bread. As you can tell, it's lunch time in AB and my wife has gotten to making lunch yet... :lol:

PS: I remember when a bologna sandwich was a real treat. And minced ham with the little orange edges. And there was one that had bits of cheese and other things embedded. You'd remember some of these, Max.

We were a poor family and even wieners were mostly saved for Sunday.

Now I AM hungry.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i've been promising myself a package of bologna recently. haven't had it in a year? probably longer.
i'll wait until after next week's doctor's appt. :lol:
she knows what i do. :P

i've never seen bologna piled high (as in pic above) - we would receive ONE slice on two slices of white bread. as a child, no thanks to mayo, mustard, or other. yuck. my mother loved a fresh sliced tomato on it. i remember agreeing to the tomato.

my mother would make a sandwich spread of bulk bologna put through her meat grinder, then mixed with mayo, diced onion, maybe a bit of pickle? celery? .. how was that, now? she called these "picnic sandwiches."

they took on a different taste, not bologna, not ham, but, very very tasty! :D
today's deli or commercial "ham salad" is not it!

nothing tastes like her home made, not even picnic sandwiches.
the tomato slice was good on these, too.

in those days, we children hardly knew what it would be to have one whole stick of gum, not split in half and shared. :D
our father never failed to express thanks to her for preparing meals for us, the love and appreciation made every meal (almost every meal) special.

as a child, i was not fond of liver and onions. i recall having to sit with a plate of this in front of me long after everyone else left the table .. eventually, i was allowed to go to bed. (without the liver and/or onions.) :-|
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

mike wrote:
It sounds good to me, Mike :D :up: I daresay you make the best in your state too. My fried turkey misadventure spells out my incompetence with food prep. I quietly thank God for the invention of microwave ovens and leftovers when my wife is sick. :lol:

Lester I do remember bologna: the kind that's eaten instead of the kind that's floated in faculty meetings :lol:

When I was a youngster bologna was a rare treat because we didn't have much either. Bologna was the equivalent of steak and it was a very special treat - with mustard between two slices of bread, cut into triangles.

We sometimes had a very large biscuit with a thin slice of cheese in summer. We ate a lot of cheese sandwiches. In winter it was a biscuit with a bowl of beans that had simmered on the wood stove all morning.

If I'm not mistaken, what you call minced meat we called deviled ham? That was another luxury.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

mike wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Saw this on FB..
:oops:
Mennonites and the Amish produce more than 25% of our nation's crops. Put them in charge of feeding America. They don't hire illegals, their moral code is unquestionable. They are not in it for profit , they are in it for God. America's true patriots.

Yup that about sums that statement up. Could not of said it better myself. 25%? Really? Whoever said that has never been to California which I understand produces over 80 % of your fruits and veggies and I daresay a very small amount of that is produced by Mennonites and Amish.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

MaxPC wrote:When I was a youngster bologna was a rare treat because we didn't have much either. Bologna was the equivalent of steak and it was a very special treat - with mustard between two slices of bread, cut into triangles.

We sometimes had a very large biscuit with a thin slice of cheese in summer. We ate a lot of cheese sandwiches. In winter it was a biscuit with a bowl of beans that had simmered on the wood stove all morning.

If I'm not mistaken, what you call minced meat we called deviled ham? That was another luxury.
My wife grew up eating what they called "hot dog bologna" in school lunches. It was the only lunch meat her folks could afford. I think years ago lots of folks were in that boat, and some folks are sentimental about it for old time's sake. Kind of like the few that still buy Spam. :)
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Wow! You could afford Spam? What's funny is when I finally did get a chance to taste it, I didn't like it. It was too salty.

We have some hot dogs in the fridge. I think I'll split a few and fry them up for supper because my wife is still under the weather. Just pray I don't ruin them and have to bury them.

There was a couple we met while RVing some years ago. His name was Magnus I recall because he liked my email address though mine is from the Latin. If I remember correctly he taught Physics. He was something of a top notch chef with cast iron pots on the fire. He and his wife go to these cast iron cooking meets and from the samples of his cooking he most likely won several competitions.

That's one skill I will likely never master though :rofl:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

temporal1 wrote:... my mother would make a sandwich spread of bulk bologna put through her meat grinder, then mixed with mayo, diced onion, maybe a bit of pickle? celery? .. how was that, now? she called these "picnic sandwiches."

they took on a different taste, not bologna, not ham, but, very very tasty! :D
today's deli or commercial "ham salad" is not it!
I hadn't thought of that for years, but I think my mother did that too. Wow, I could eat some of those sandwiches again. :!:
temporal1 wrote:... as a child, i was not fond of liver and onions. i recall having to sit with a plate of this in front of me long after everyone else left the table .. eventually, i was allowed to go to bed. (without the liver and/or onions.) :-|
Sorry, can't agree on this. My wife and I both like liver and onions. I'll order it in a restaurant at times, to my children's consternation. They can't imagine spending good money for liver and onions.

We don't have it much, but once the girls are gone, I guarantee we'll have it lots....
0 x