Guess the Cultural "Proverb"

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Guess the Cultural "Proverb"

Post by ken_sylvania »

silentreader wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:16 pm Is anyone familiar with the proverb re taking a bigger load then you can really handle so that you don't need to make as many trips?
That's what I would call a lazy man's load.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

ken_sylvania wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:23 pm
silentreader wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:16 pm Is anyone familiar with the proverb re taking a bigger load then you can really handle so that you don't need to make as many trips?
That's what I would call a lazy man's load.
"An fowla azzel shauft sich dode".
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Neto: ok to add this?
i enjoyed his German-accented English (and his lively facial expressions) as he responded to PA Dutch. :D

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:36 pm Neto: ok to add this?
i enjoyed his German-accented English (and his lively facial expressions) as he responded to PA Dutch. :D

Sure, have at it. I listened to the whole thing, even though PA GERMAN is not my own native language. (It is for my wife, and I understand it to a somewhat fair degree, and speak somewhat less.) (As I said earlier, I'm trying not to think about the fact that my ancestral villages are now over-run by an invading army. So any diversion is great.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Neto:
Sure, have at it. I listened to the whole thing, even though PA GERMAN is not my own native language. (It is for my wife, and I understand it to a somewhat fair degree, and speak somewhat less.)

(As I said earlier, I'm trying not to think about the fact that my ancestral villages are now over-run by an invading army.
So any diversion is great.)

it’s hard not to be distressed, distraught over Ukraine. yesterday was hard for me, probably viewing the documentary on more recent Ukraine didn’t help. it’s very difficult. not knowing how bad, how long, how widespread damage will be is unnerving. i called my family last night just to hear their voices.

i was glad to see this thread, a bit of a diversion. i’m glad negotiations are being attempted. trying to resist getting caught up in any propaganda. expecting everything is propaganda. so much goes on that is never known in full.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

In recent days the daily drumbeat of everything Covid, the vaccinated, the unvaccinated, masks, social distancing, trucker convoys, etc. has been replaced with news about Ukraine/Russia. I, by all means, do not want to diminish either. However a cultural proverb came to mind, one that I heard my mother say many times.

"Everybody will be talking about it, until a dog with a longer tail comes along".
2 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

Grace wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:25 am In recent days the daily drumbeat of everything Covid, the vaccinated, the unvaccinated, masks, social distancing, trucker convoys, etc. has been replaced with news about Ukraine/Russia. I, by all means, do not want to diminish either. However a cultural proverb came to mind, one that I heard my mother say many times.

"Everybody will be talking about it, until a dog with a longer tail comes along".
Thank you for bringing a smile to my face, and laughter to my spirit.
2 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
PetrChelcicky
Affiliation: none

Post by PetrChelcicky »

As for the mysterious "schwatze frau", I have a hypothesis.
In German there is the verb "schwätzen" (dict.cc gives me: twaddle,bable,gabble,schmooze, blather, prate, gossip) which also exists in Pennsylvania Dutch. Germans have a derived adjective "schwatzhaft" (talkative). A similar adjective may have existed in Penns. Dutch, too, and when it was lost, people confused it with "schwatz" = black.
The meaning would have been:
Life is a serious matter,and if you look out for unreasonable merriment now (like singing at the table) and later on you look for your wife the same way, you will get a wife who talks a lot and doesn't work a lot - which will be a heavy burden on your shoulders.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

googled translation:
you grigsht a shvatze woman
which hits my funny bone this morning. :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
Neto

Post by Neto »

PetrChelcicky wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:46 am As for the mysterious "schwatze frau", I have a hypothesis.
In German there is the verb "schwätzen" (dict.cc gives me: twaddle,bable,gabble,schmooze, blather, prate, gossip) which also exists in Pennsylvania Dutch. Germans have a derived adjective "schwatzhaft" (talkative). A similar adjective may have existed in Penns. Dutch, too, and when it was lost, people confused it with "schwatz" = black.
The meaning would have been:
Life is a serious matter,and if you look out for unreasonable merriment now (like singing at the table) and later on you look for your wife the same way, you will get a wife who talks a lot and doesn't work a lot - which will be a heavy burden on your shoulders.
Interesting. You then come out with the same meaning as the way I've heard it in English (which I assume was a translation from Plautdietsch) - "lazy".
1 x