Unique Weddings and Couples

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Unique Weddings and Couples

Post by temporal1 »

Joy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:55 am "Worldly" sure is a handy label to stick on other believers. No requirement to prove the charge, or even define it.
How must God feel when we do this?

I've been guilty of it myself, but with age comes (thankfully) wisdom, and a realization of God's character and our own shortcomings and sins.
Ernie doesn’t often post in MennoLight, his OP seemed to request light-hearted input. :)

When i was growing up, in a not-Anabaptist home, my mother had some words of wisdom about weddings, i think ring true.
Possibly first was to respect other peoples’ weddings. Then, that the bride should not be “up-staged.” This is her/their once in a lifetime day, it should be respected. When it’s your day, it’s your turn.

White represented purity, sometimes there were gasps, esp if this was a second marriage, even of a widow. (i didn’t happen learn about Queen V until years later.) The popularity of the QV connection might be to simply detract from scriptural reference to purity. i don’t know.

White/ivory was not mandated. It came to be expected. It was to represent purity. There was a privilege to it.
By now, in the world, after BC pills, it means nothing. No one gasps when a multiple-divorced woman wears a bright white fancy wedding gown, tightly fitted, sometimes cut like a stripper’s costume. $$$$

Ernie may correct, for sure. :)
i didn’t understand the OP to be so much about Christian wedding customs, as about unique choices different couples have made for their day. The links on Page 1 reflected “unique.” Blizzards, horses.

Maybe if the request was “How was your wedding?” it would less critique-y. :mrgreen:

i’m interested in all wedding customs.
when my grdaughter was young, i had an idea to try to compile a book of various wedding customs with her, for her.
my daughter warned against, pointing out pushback if it did not include SSM.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:38 am I guess you could say there was a time when red churches, brown churches, any color of churches (meetinghouses) were considered worldly. Maybe the majority of conservative Anabaptists still feel that way.
Red, brown, yellow, black, and white; they are worldly in their sight.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Joy wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:55 am "Worldly" sure is a handy label to stick on other believers. No requirement to prove the charge, or even define it. How must God feel when we do this?

I've been guilty of it myself, but with age comes (thankfully) wisdom, and a realization of God's character and our own shortcomings and sins.
I can apply a label with confidence to a Beachy guy (or a Holdeman guy) when I see him driving a jacked up pickup truck spewing a cloud of black smoke out the tailpipe. We can say "he seems a bit worldly". (Or we might say it when we see him styling in the latest fashions, particular jeans, particular shirt, buying coffees in the trendiest coffeehouse in town.)

The less familiar I am with someone's culture the less I would apply such a label. At some point it is perfectly acceptable to discern that some people seem to be moving in a worldly direction.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:17 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 am
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:38 am I guess you could say there was a time when red churches, brown churches, any color of churches (meetinghouses) were considered worldly. Maybe the majority of conservative Anabaptists still feel that way.
I do. I assume you meant Plain Anabaptists?
Plain Anabaptists would have been more accurate. Thanks.
Not a big deal, but just wanted to clarify. I am thinking that many Amish still consider meetinghouses as worldly, whereas many Hutterites, Mennonites and Brethren seem to think of them as spiritual.
There are a lot of Mennonites who think that worshipping in homes, in a garage, or in a library, is something you want to do away with as soon as possible. To them, building a meeting house is a sign of stability, faithfulness, and right priorities, even if the meeting house or some parts of the meeting house are only used for a few hours each week.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
mike
Affiliation: ConMen

Post by mike »

Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:04 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:17 am
Ernie wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:46 am I do. I assume you meant Plain Anabaptists?
Plain Anabaptists would have been more accurate. Thanks.
Not a big deal, but just wanted to clarify. I am thinking that many Amish still consider meetinghouses as worldly, whereas many Hutterites, Mennonites and Brethren seem to think of them as spiritual.
There are a lot of Mennonites who think that worshipping in homes, in a garage, or in a library, is something you want to do away with as soon as possible. To them, building a meeting house is a sign of stability, faithfulness, and right priorities, even if the meeting house or some parts of the meeting house are only used for a few hours each week.
This would be a good topic for a new thread. I enjoyed meeting in homes back when we were with a house church.
1 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3