Dated Songs, Technology Songs, and Anabaptist Tradition

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Dated Songs, Technology Songs, and Anabaptist Tradition

Post by ohio jones »

cmbl wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:47 pm
Ernie wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:38 pm There are other songs about ships and trains that are sung very solemnly by conservative Anabaptists.
Life is like a Mountain Railroad, If on a Quiet Sea toward Heaven we Calmly Sail, Jesus Savior, Pilot Me. etc.
Indeed. It seems that nautical metaphors became a cliche in the early 20th century "Gospel songs."
Still a cliche in early 21st century CCM. How do you make a song popular?

1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

I'm curious, what is the objection to references to angels in hymns? Not familiar with "Angel Band," but I don't understand the problem in the lyrics.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Joy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:01 am I'm curious, what is the objection to references to angels in hymns? Not familiar with "Angel Band," but I don't understand the problem in the lyrics.
My personal impression is that is praise song of angels and I'm not comfortable with that really. Its sung at my church and generally I chose not to speak about my objections.
Lyrics
My latest sun is sinking fast
My race is nearly run
My strongest trials now are past
My triumph hath begun
Oh come, angel band
Come and around me stand
Oh, bear me away on your snow-white wings
To my immortal home
To my immortal home
I've almost gained my heav'nly home
My spirit loudly sings
The holy ones, behold they come!
I hear the noise of wings
Oh come, angel band
Come and around me stand
To my immortal home
To my immortal home
Oh come, angel band
Come and around me stand
To my immortal home
To my immortal home
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Joy wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:01 am I'm curious, what is the objection to references to angels in hymns? Not familiar with "Angel Band," but I don't understand the problem in the lyrics.
1. Singing to angels is not a lot different from praying to/through Mary.
2. I don't expect to have angels bear me to heaven.
3. I'm not aware that angels have wings.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ernie wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:46 pm
I agree with the first point, am neutral on the second, and disagree with the third.

See Exodus 25:20, Exodus 37:9, 1 Kings 6:27, Isaiah 6:2, Ezekiel 10:5... This isn't even all of them.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Ernie wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 12:46 pm
Various people in Scripture spoke with angels. Mary is dead, and can't do anything for us, even hear us. Who knows whether angels can hear us? It was part of the job description for some angels to come carry Lazarus away.

Argument from silence as to winged angels?
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

The idea Christmas is pagan is utterly absurd.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:05 pm The idea Christmas is pagan is utterly absurd.
The birth of Christ is of course not. But many if not most Christmas holiday traditions have pagan roots. From Christmas trees to caroling to gift giving to celebrating it on the winter solstice. Many have their origins in the older pagan Roman holiday of Saturnalia.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
AnthonyMartin
Affiliation: LMC

Post by AnthonyMartin »

Ken wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 10:18 pm
Josh wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:05 pm The idea Christmas is pagan is utterly absurd.
The birth of Christ is of course not. But many if not most Christmas holiday traditions have pagan roots. From Christmas trees to caroling to gift giving to celebrating it on the winter solstice. Many have their origins in the older pagan Roman holiday of Saturnalia.
Weekday names, Month names etc. It is likely worshipping on Sunday also has pagan roots.

Kissing under the mistletoe was started by the Druids who believed it would heal sickness. See, even pagan barbarians had a Holy Kiss. Eternity in their hearts?
1 x
Grace
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Grace »

Love this song, but often wondered what the difference was between an "old time Christian" versus a "new time Christian".

Aren't we all saved by the Blood of Jesus, and asked to live according to the scriptures, especially the New Testament teachings?

0 x