Bach or Beethoven?

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.

Bach or Beethoven?

Total votes: 0

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Bach or Beethoven?

Post by Ken »

Fidelio wrote:
Ken wrote: As a pianist I like them both, but if I had to live on a desert island with only one, I'd pick Beethoven.
For piano I really like Rachmaninoff. Of course Beethoven's piano sontatas are wonderful too.
Well, Rachmaninoff is way outside of my limited abilities. But some Bach and Beethoven is manageable.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Fidelio
Affiliation: ACCA Friend

Re: Bach or Beethoven?

Post by Fidelio »

Ken wrote:
Fidelio wrote:
Ken wrote: As a pianist I like them both, but if I had to live on a desert island with only one, I'd pick Beethoven.
For piano I really like Rachmaninoff. Of course Beethoven's piano sontatas are wonderful too.
Well, Rachmaninoff is way outside of my limited abilities. But some Bach and Beethoven is manageable.
I have a co-worker who is a pianist (BS and MS in music) and he says,
Piano works of Mozart and Beethoven were in the "Classical style" or Classical period. They are moderately difficult to execute, especially the Beethoven Sonatas. Once western music got into the "Romantic period" compositions for symphony orchestra and compositions for solo piano and piano concertos got far more complex. More difficult to play. It takes technique, maturity and knowledge of emotion/expression to pull these compositions off, especially Concertos. ... [Rachmaninoff's] Second Concerto is somewhat difficult (a little more involved than the Brahms, Liszt, Grieg or Prokofiev Concertos), but nowhere as difficult or involved as the Third Concerto. After all, Rachmaninoff was a master pianist, and had huge hands, and formulated his own style in his concertos. They are involved. They are longer than most Concertos. They are difficult. ... The Third Concerto is probably one of the most intricate and definitely the most difficult to perform.
0 x
Convert to Anabaptist truth early 2019; now associated (friend) with the Apostolic Christian Church of America.