It got worse still

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: It got worse still

Post by Wayne in Maine »

ohio jones wrote:
RZehr wrote:Long Beach congestion. As of midday Wednesday, 91 ships were in port: 46 at berth and 45 at anchor. Of those, there were 56 container ships: 24 at berth and 32 at anchor. Between Wednesday and Saturday, 19 more container ships will arrive, with the same number due to depart. Get the Vessel Finder app and look at the ships at down there.
The Panama Canal is just as bad, if not worse still. There's a backlog of natural gas shipments from the US to Asia, with some having to wait two weeks to get through. It's almost as fast to go around Africa at this point.

Back when we could travel (remember that?) I enjoyed flying into PTY. On approach, you'd see the fleet of ships waiting their turn to go through the canal. Not sure I have a good photo of that, but here's an example:

Trivia: Most people don't realize that the Caribbean entrance to the canal is actually west of the Pacific entrance. Westbound traffic goes from northwest to southeast.
The Panama Canal expansion has been inadequate. But fortunately, as the earth continues to recover from the last ice age, the Northwest Passage is becoming ice free again throughout much of the year. In this century it will become a major shipping route, saving fuel and time, contributing to Global interdependency and world peace through market dependency.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: It got worse still

Post by temporal1 »

Wayne:
.. as the earth continues to recover from the last ice age, ..
golden.
oj:
.. I enjoyed flying ..
and, i miss traveling vicariously through your ventures. sigh.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN