Universal recipes of Anabaptists?

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.

What dishes are considered universal recipes in Anabaptist World?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:46 am

Total votes: 0

Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Re: Universal recipes of Anabaptists?

Post by Heirbyadoption »

I would have thought Cream Of Mushroom would have had it's own overarching category in the original list... :laugh
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Heirbyadoption wrote:I would have thought Cream Of Mushroom would have had it's own overarching category in the original list... :laugh
I forgot to add soups! Mea maxima culpa!
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

What I've observed as one who comes from outside of the Swiss background, is that nearly every meal will involve apple sauce. And often, very often, cheese as well. It's like you haven't eaten unless you've had those two foods. For us as "Russia" Mennonites, it's more down the bread and sort of dumpling line, with stuff like verenike, a boiled dough pocket with special dry cottage cheese in it, served with gravy, often ham gravy, and in that case some ham as well.
Our soups (like potato soup) never had as much ham in it as around here, either. In my background the ham is in there just for flavor, and sometimes it might be no more than a ham bone cooked in the soup, for flavor. Here the ham is everywhere.
And at least in the family I grew up in, desserts were of one type in a given meal, and no multiple helpings. Jellies & jams were sour enough that you didn't have to pile it on in order to taste the fruit.
But you really hit the nail on the head with noodles. Noodles are everywhere around here. We ate it at home, too, but there's one custom from my background I can't get into, that's ketchup in chicken noodle soup.
Did I mention that we nearly always had bread? (A bit like the apple sauce for folks around here in Amish country.) Like there is a special bread we almost always had with watermelon - rolkooken. If you've ever had Indian Fried Bread, that's pretty much the same thing. Oh, and we like to have sweet & salt together, like eating potato chips with ice cream. (Now you all know how out of place I feel here.....)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

Heirbyadoption wrote:I would have thought Cream Of Mushroom would have had it's own overarching category in the original list... :laugh
My wife keeps a small inventory of cream-of-whatever on the pantry shelf. Its almost a staple for her.
1 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville

Ken wrote:
steve-in-kville wrote:Where does liver & onions originate from? Seems most of our buffets around here have it.
Liver and Onions is actually more of a traditional English dish.
That I would not have guessed (because of this thread, I made chicken livers & onions for supper last night. Served with steak sauce... you ain't lived until you tried it 8-) )
0 x

barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

A large portion of the food I grew up with is in this cook book.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Grace wrote:Where is the potato option, specifically mashed potatoes, drizzled with brown butter.
:lol: I think I mentioned I really am not much of a cook (I can microwave with the best however).
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
steve-in-kville

Neto wrote:If you've ever had Indian Fried Bread, that's pretty much the same thing.
My wife served at a mission in NM and she learned to make this. We often have it for Sunday supper.
0 x

MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

barnhart wrote:A large portion of the food I grew up with is in this cook book.
Barnhart, would you say that this would be a good representative sample of common Anabaptist foods?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

MaxPC wrote:
barnhart wrote:A large portion of the food I grew up with is in this cook book.
Barnhart, would you say that this would be a good representative sample of common Anabaptist foods?
It is an excellent representation of the food culture of southern Mennonites, where the Swiss/German traditions have mingled with southern food and culture for hundreds of years. As I said earlier, these traditions vary a lot by region.
0 x