The Foods Thread

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

The Foods Thread

Post by MaxPC »

Inspired by Steve, Appleman and Ragpicker it is my hope that this will be a thread for all things related to foods:
-Favorite foods from families and childhood.
-Current favorites.
-Foods you like to prepare.
-Popular foods in your culture (like the Herr’s Ketchup Flavored Potato Chips).
-The pros, cons and vagaries of various dishes in your family traditions.

Example: Recently a discussion emerged amongst my friends as to the proper coating for frying fish. Cornmeal vs eggy flour vs beer batter and whatnot was debated, compared and humorously dealt a thorough parsing. The consensus among the Americans was that beer batter was a wasteful usage of good beer. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: The Foods Thread

Post by steve-in-kville »

MaxPC wrote:The consensus among the Americans was that beer batter was a wasteful usage of good beer. :lol:
And bourbon steak is waste of good bourbon.... so I've read ;)
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
steve-in-kville

Golden Flake Louisiana style pork rinds. I never cared for pork rinds until I tried these. Keep water handy. You'll need it :mrgreen:
0 x

Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

MaxPC wrote:
Example: Recently a discussion emerged amongst my friends as to the proper coating for frying fish. Cornmeal vs eggy flour vs beer batter and whatnot was debated, compared and humorously dealt a thorough parsing. The consensus among the Americans was that beer batter was a wasteful usage of good beer. :lol:
And I've heard that "good American" beer is only a fabrication of imagination!
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Signtist wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
And I've heard that "good American" beer is only a fabrication of imagination!
I've only had beer batter in fish and chips. Most of the fish and chips use the cheapest beer for the batter anyway, so I would not know the difference. :lol:
steve-in-kville wrote:Golden Flake Louisiana style pork rinds. I never cared for pork rinds until I tried these. Keep water handy. You'll need it :mrgreen:
I had to look that one up. It seems that what you call pork rinds we call pork scratchings. The greatest difference between the two (American version and the Brit version) is the Brit version leaves the fat on the skin. I have never had the Golden Flake Louisiana style. It looks too spicy for my tired old self. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

My wife is serving up my favorite chicken dish tonight: chicken and dumplings. It's just this wee bit shy of healthy. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Favorite foods from childhood: Fried chicken, country ham, sweet corn, apple pie, homemade rootbeer floats (with homemade root beer and homemade ice cream)

Favorite foods today? If we go out to eat I'm partial to middle eastern and Thai fare. I tend not to try to make those foods at home because the spices are flavors are so hard to master. We don't have any really favorite family recipes that we always make.

Favorite family food traditions?

On my side? My favorite tradition is making homemade apple cider in the fall with a restored 100+ year old cider press that is in my basement. Every year I drive from the Portland area out to Hood River OR to the same family orchard owned by a 4th generation Japanese-American family (https://mthoodfruit.com/) and load up the car with about 1000 lbs of cider apples and we have a big family and friends cider making party.

On my Chilean wife's side? We have a lot more and better food traditions, frankly. When in Chile, Empanadas de Pino (beef and onion), grilled sausage sandwiches called Choripán, lots of queso mantecoso, a traditional Chilean cheese. And for big events, giant paella's made over outdoor fires in 6' pans.

If I had to choose between spending the rest of my life eating Pennsylvania Dutch Menno food, or Chilean food, I'll take Chilean every single day.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
steve-in-kville

Anyone else like pig stomach? We used to have this for Christmas dinner every year. I think it may go by other names depending on the region.
0 x

steve-in-kville

Cross posted:

0 x

MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:Anyone else like pig stomach? We used to have this for Christmas dinner every year. I think it may go by other names depending on the region.
I don’t believe I’ve ever had it. Have eaten haggis once; not my cuppa.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)