The Foods Thread

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: The Foods Thread

Post by MaxPC »

Today is USA national "Gumbo Day". HT to Steve. My wife sends you these links on "7 Things You Need to Know About Gumbo" and "Louisiana Cooking: Cajun or Creole?".

She is making gumbo for tonight.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

My go-to for quick snacks (that remain somewhat healthy) are nuts and dried fruits. Pakistani dates and even figs at times. That being said, with the cooler temps on the way, I enjoy some dark chocolate with my tea at bedtime. Even though the chocolate tends to give me some wild dreams at times!
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

At the meet/greet/eat after my friend's funeral there was an array of Polish foods on the buffet created by the ladies of the bereavement committee.
Gołąbki - cabbage stuffed with meat and rice
Pierogi - stuffed dumplings
Pyzy - stuffed potato dumplings

Various salads of potatoes, cabbage and cucumbers. Filled doughnuts called Pączki and cheesecake called Sernik.

Quite good I have to say. I am particularly fond of potatoes in any and many forms.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
steve-in-kville

We're having a bit of an informal potluck at work tomorrow. We have a hotdog roller in our lunchroom, so its gonna be John F. Martin's dogs. I have a Texas Beans recipe that I've made in different variations, guess I'll make a pot of those to go with the dogs. When it comes to a quick bite, not much beats dogs & chili!
0 x

MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:We're having a bit of an informal potluck at work tomorrow. We have a hotdog roller in our lunchroom, so its gonna be John F. Martin's dogs. I have a Texas Beans recipe that I've made in different variations, guess I'll make a pot of those to go with the dogs. When it comes to a quick bite, not much beats dogs & chili!
This is one American food that I crave every now and then. Hot dogs topped with chili, cheese and fresh onions. I cannot have it too often as it sends my bp too high but it does make for a delightful picnic/potluck dish.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
steve-in-kville

MaxPC wrote:
Quite good I have to say. I am particularly fond of potatoes in any and many forms.
Pierogis are a family favorite when we can get them on sale. Topped with sour cream or served with sauerkraut - guaranteed no leftovers.

Ever hear of Hasselback potatoes? Great way to make use of small baby potatoes. Lemme see if I can find a recipe later on this morning....
0 x

JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

One of my favorite foods from Maryland, where I grew up, that I don't find here in the rural Midwest, is softshell crab. Homecooked, fresh from the water is best, but the Maryland crab restaurants did a good job.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Our local buffets don't do justice for seafood. I trust the Chinese takeout's quicker than the buffets. Giant Foods does okay when it comes to fresh seafood, but not what it was ten years ago.

Would you believe I never had real lobster? I'm tempted to make one at home for my wife and I, but don't know the first thing about preparing them.
0 x

JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

steve-in-kville wrote: Would you believe I never had real lobster? I'm tempted to make one at home for my wife and I, but don't know the first thing about preparing them.
First thing is a big pot of boiling water. Throw the lobster in. Take it out when it gets all red. Serve with butter, pliers, and hammers.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Aren't you supposed to whack 'em on the head first???
0 x