Quizzes

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Quizzes

Post by JimFoxvog »

ohio jones wrote:Can you guess if the word is an antidepressant drug or a Tolkien character?
Play
15/24. Little better than chance.
0 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

15 of 24. All guesses except 1.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

What I'm wondering: Why are so many pharmaceutical company employees Tolkien fans?
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

ohio jones wrote:What I'm wondering: Why are so many pharmaceutical company employees Tolkien fans?
:laugh :rofl:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

My girls got 18 of 24 and they recently read the books and watched the movie adaptations.
0 x
Mayberry
Affiliation: Truly Conservative

Post by Mayberry »

Okay, here goes without 1,000 words. I have been closely associated with three different local conservative Mennonite congregations for the last 20 years, presently being a member of one of them. I give everything I can for every opportunity that arises. The members say they so appreciate it, but there's always the mysterious missing link in our household's community bonding. My problem? My ancestry is not Anabaptist. I did not grow up in the local youth culture or have a traditional Mennonite surname, and on and on and on.

Several reviewers of the mentioned article, "What Is Your Mennonite Marriageability Rating?' seemed to be in denial that the writer might actually have some (or many) very good points. It seemed to me that I was witnessing a solid case of ancestorially inherited blindness on the part of some respondents. I do not agree with every answer offered by the writer of the article; however, the spirit of it hits the mark. Additionally, I suggest that a few of the responses in the article rated as a negative number, such as -5 or -10 points should have been, perhaps, -10 or -15 (or -20?).

The conservative Mennonite culture is something that 90% of the Mennonite people themselves cannot begin to see or truly understand in its fullness. And, sadly, far too many do not truly care. ... "like a man observing his natural face in a mirror; for he observes himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was."

They live in an ongoing state of denial. Yes, 10% do care. It's just that they either can't find their way to a new path, or if they do, family pressures win every time. I set aside my family ties to join the Mennonite church. It was my family's choice to abandon me, not mine to abandon them. The cost was incredibly high. Their bitterness for me guiding my wife from the "one true church" was ugly. Indeed, those around me have no idea what cost really is. (10:37-38; Mark 10:29;)

I am sorry to have to write this because many, many (nearly all) of my friends are conservative Mennonite. But truth is truth. The article is just too close to the truth to be comfortable for most readers.

My heart bleeds, and I weep. Yet I remain.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I just wish it was easier to not make decisions out of wounds and bitterness.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Anyone have a fun new quiz?? :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

britannica / Christianity Quiz
https://www.britannica.com/quiz/christianity-quiz
Don’t dawdle! Questions are timed.

0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN