1.6 Billion and climbing

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

1.6 Billion and climbing

Post by MaxPC »

The lottery jackpot has climbed to $1.6 billion and from the looks of the line at the gas station this morning, it's going to go even higher.

I pulled in to refill the tank and saw a line winding out the door of the convenience store. I'm not exaggerating when I tell you it had at least 15 people standing there, even more inside. I decided to ask them if there was a sale on beef jerky.

They told me about the record level jackpot. Incredible.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: 1.6 Billion and climbing

Post by JimFoxvog »

Greed seems to be one of the biggest sins in this country. Why do churches like to talk about sexual issues so much more?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

JimFoxvog wrote:Greed seems to be one of the biggest sins in this country. Why do churches like to talk about sexual issues so much more?
It’s easier for a couple reasons. One being some clearly agreed upon lines the sexual sin is present. We may not be able to crisply determine where it starts, but when it is manifested in full, there is no doubt.
Greed is much more insidious. And in America I suppose we are more materialistic than Christians of the past or in other places.
There is probably more complicated and more simple reasons too.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:Greed seems to be one of the biggest sins in this country. Why do churches like to talk about sexual issues so much more?
It’s easier for a couple reasons. One being some clearly agreed upon lines the sexual sin is present. We may not be able to crisply determine where it starts, but when it is manifested in full, there is no doubt.
Greed is much more insidious. And in America I suppose we are more materialistic than Christians of the past or in other places.
There is probably more complicated and more simple reasons too.
i almost posted to Max, “it would be so much fun giving it away.” :D
i “spent” a pleasant few moments thinking about how that might work. :P

not buying a ticket, i suppose, it’s certain that will not be. :mrgreen:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

I am presently employed in a store. It's been almost hurtful to witness the steady stream of people coming in, asking where to buy the lottery tickets with the money that states "In God We Trust"
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I admit I was shocked to see that line and as I said, I thought there must be a sale on jerky. Having never played the lottery I wasn't tempted to begin now.

Still, that line says to me that many are hoping for something better. How few the laborers for such a great harvest.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God