Mennonite Mardis Gras

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Mennonite Mardis Gras

Post by Bootstrap »

Today is Mardis Gras, the day before Lent begins, so I suppose we should be celebrating something. What would a Mennonite Mardis Gras look like?

I'm not a big fan of beads, Bourbon Street, excessive drinking, or sexy costumes, so how would we design a Mennonite Mardis Gras? I guess we should start by calling to Fasching and leaving out the part about Lent (what's that?). I don't think a 1-day Rumspringa is a great idea, so we'll have to do something else ... maybe we should have a potluck and all overeat? If we can't have jazz, perhaps Shape Note singing?

Help me design this!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Mennonite Mardis Gras

Post by Josh »

It would have to be an MC USA thing since theyre the ones into the liturgical calendar.

My group technically doesn’t observe Easter, so for me, Fat Tuesday would consist of going out of my way to act like it’s a day like any other (just like we do on Christmas Day). Except if I lived in Louisiana and had the day off, we would probably end up gathering with friends and family and end up eating local traditional foods as well pertinent to the day. I have indeed heard of some our folks in the UK who had pancakes today (the traditional UK Fat Tuesday food item)...
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Bootstrap wrote:... maybe we should have a potluck and all overeat? If we can't have jazz, perhaps Shape Note singing?
Better have the singing between the appetizers and main dishes, otherwise we'll be too stuffed to carry a tune. After dessert, perhaps a Rook tournament.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

If you say it fast, it could sound like Mennonite Martin Groff
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote:If you say it fast, it could sound like Mennonite Martin Groff
OK, now we've got a name for the holiday!

I believe Martin Groff Day is traditionally celebrated with Fisher's Dill Brussels Sprouts and AW Old Fashioned Bear Jam.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Better add some elk roasts and horse radish. And Marie Sharp hot sauce.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

lesterb wrote:Better add some elk roasts and horse radish. And Marie Sharp hot sauce.
Marie who?????
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

mike wrote:
lesterb wrote:Better add some elk roasts and horse radish. And Marie Sharp hot sauce.
Marie who?????
Marie Sharp's. Marie is from Belize and she makes the best hot sauce around. You can get it in many variations of heat. A friend of mine was a missionary in Belize and was in her production facilities various times. She would sell it to you by the gallon if you wanted. It gets imported by some of the German Mennonite stores in the area.

See here for her web site.
Note that this all organic, farm grown product. Hand chopped, and direct from the farm to the bottle....

This is the one I like but they have 3 or 4 levels of heat above this.
Last edited by lesterb on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

lesterb wrote:
mike wrote:
Marie who?????
Marie Sharp's.Marie is from Belize and she makes the best hot sauce around. You can get it in many variations of heat. A friend of mine was a missionary in Belize and was in her production facilities various times. She would sell it to you by the gallon if you wanted. It gets imported by some of the German Mennonite stores in the area.

See here. She even has a web site.

This is the one I like but they have 3 or 4 levels of heat above this.
I will have to look for that in Holmes County- I love hot sauce (tobasco is our famiy favorite) and have to have it on popcorn- hopefully can find some-

I knew this topic would take some crazy twists & turns.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Having seen what this pre-ash Wednesday 'celebration' involves in Brazil, I really have a hard time thinking of "Carnaval" (English Carnival) as anything that can be 'sanctified'. (The word DOES come from the Latin languages word 'carne', which is 'flesh', or 'meat', in English. I assume 'mardi grau' is French, but do not know the origins of the word or phrase.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.