Mennonite Mardis Gras

The lighter side of things. A place for humor and joyful things.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Mennonite Mardis Gras

Post by Bootstrap »

Neto wrote:I assume 'mardi grau' is French, but do not know the origins of the word or phrase.)
mardi = Tuesday
gras = fat
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Yes, this is definitely an old Martin Groff tradition.
lesterb wrote:Marie Sharp's. Marie is from Belize and she makes the best hot sauce around. You can get it in many variations of heat. A friend of mine was a missionary in Belize and was in her production facilities various times. She would sell it to you by the gallon if you wanted. It gets imported by some of the German Mennonite stores in the area.

See here for her web site.
Note that this all organic, farm grown product. Hand chopped, and direct from the farm to the bottle....

This is the one I like but they have 3 or 4 levels of heat above this.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Neto wrote:Having seen what this pre-ash Wednesday 'celebration' involves in Brazil, I really have a hard time thinking of "Carnaval" (English Carnival) as anything that can be 'sanctified'. (The word DOES come from the Latin languages word 'carne', which is 'flesh', or 'meat', in English. I assume 'mardi grau' is French, but do not know the origins of the word or phrase.)
It's a French word for Fat Tuesday and the tradition itself is French though other cultures have a variation of it and seems to be a holdover from preChristian pagan celebrations.
Looking at the celebration of carnal appetites that occur on this date, we personally don't see this as legitimate expression of our discipleship. We don't verbally attack others for it though. We just try to set a quiet example that Lent is a time of fasting and abstinence from meats on certain days and spend more time than usual study the Bible and Christian authors.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God