Fresh Citrus

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Fresh Citrus

Post by cmbl »

Can someone explain to me this "fresh citrus fruit" thing? I saw it with the Beachys and now from Plain News. How is this different from going to Weis (local supermarket) and buying some oranges?
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: Fresh Citrus

Post by Soloist »

I know people who drive to the farm growing it and drive north to sell it... Its another way of sourcing citrus really... and its fresher "likely"
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Depending on who is fetching it from the South, it might be fresher/better tasting, cheaper, and allows someone you know to make a profit instead of the super market.

We usually buy some from California and it is usually quite delicious.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Another factor: the more fresh the citrus the higher the vitamin c content. Many vitamins including vitamin c, are volatile and begin to deteriorate once the fruit is picked. Vitamin c is also vulnerable to heat in transport.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God