The adventures in Daphna Dale.....

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
ShantyShaker
Affiliation: BMA

The adventures in Daphna Dale.....

Post by ShantyShaker »

A new thread to tell about some of our adventures at our new home.

A few weeks ago my wife calls/texts that the water pressure in the house has significantly dropped. Later she informs me that there's no water in the house now.
I've replaced a well pump before, but knew that this well was 500' deep and I probably wasn't going to be pulling this pump by myself (or even with my sons helping me).
I've also replaced a pressure switch on a pressure tank before and how to test it if needed.
There's also a second well here, so at the very least I knew I could switch wells for the time being.
It got to be after dark until I got home on this particular day, and the well pit is out in the pasture. We got a flashlight and went out to see what the problem was that we had no water.
I lifted the metal roof that covers the well pit, and something jumped up from the 6' plus deep hole. I jumped a little, but knew I had to continue to find the problem.
We got the cover off, and I investigate from the top what might be the problem. I find a breaker box with 3 exposed breakers (wires behind a cover though) and they're all turned off. I switch the 110 breaker on first, nothing, the first 220 breaker and hear the well pump in the 500' well kick on.
Looking around I see a small wild rabbit hiding in the corner by the one pressure tank, realize that's what jumped when I first opened the well pit cover. We stirred it out and low and behold it jumped up and almost made it out of the hole! It rested a few moments and tried again, this time making it completely out of the hole and lost no time getting out of our sight!
I'm guessing that this rabbit was trying hard earlier in the day to get out, and in the process flipped the well pump breaker on his way back down into the well pit. No $$ spent fixing this time!
0 x
Former user name: C&MJ
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: The adventures in Daphna Dale.....

Post by MaxPC »

Thank you for sharing this. It's a delightful story. :hug:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

great outcome. these kinds of moments remind of “bullets dodged.” thankfully.
looking forward to reading more from Daphna Dale. :D

this thread began as a bunny tale .. :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ShantyShaker

Post by ShantyShaker »

A few Sundays after we moved here, we came home to 3 big boxes on our front porch containing multiple bags of blueberry muffins, diffrent kinds of cookies, banana bread, chocolate chip bread, ect. Everything was neatly labeled and was all homemade.
On top of the boxes there was a note saying "to the _______ family. No idea who the giver(s) are.
Two or three weeks ago we came home to a nearly identical set of boxes! Again no indication of the giver(s).
We did mention it in conversion to one neighbor, she said "oh that sounds like people in this neighborhood".
We feel unworthy of it all, but at the same time quite welcomed!
Hopefully we can be a blessing like this to others!
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ShantyShaker wrote:A new thread to tell about some of our adventures at our new home.

A few weeks ago my wife calls/texts that the water pressure in the house has significantly dropped. Later she informs me that there's no water in the house now.
I've replaced a well pump before, but knew that this well was 500' deep and I probably wasn't going to be pulling this pump by myself (or even with my sons helping me).
I've also replaced a pressure switch on a pressure tank before and how to test it if needed.
There's also a second well here, so at the very least I knew I could switch wells for the time being.
It got to be after dark until I got home on this particular day, and the well pit is out in the pasture. We got a flashlight and went out to see what the problem was that we had no water.
I lifted the metal roof that covers the well pit, and something jumped up from the 6' plus deep hole. I jumped a little, but knew I had to continue to find the problem.
We got the cover off, and I investigate from the top what might be the problem. I find a breaker box with 3 exposed breakers (wires behind a cover though) and they're all turned off. I switch the 110 breaker on first, nothing, the first 220 breaker and hear the well pump in the 500' well kick on.
Looking around I see a small wild rabbit hiding in the corner by the one pressure tank, realize that's what jumped when I first opened the well pit cover. We stirred it out and low and behold it jumped up and almost made it out of the hole! It rested a few moments and tried again, this time making it completely out of the hole and lost no time getting out of our sight!
I'm guessing that this rabbit was trying hard earlier in the day to get out, and in the process flipped the well pump breaker on his way back down into the well pit. No $$ spent fixing this time!
500'????? Is this common?

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ShantyShaker

Post by ShantyShaker »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
ShantyShaker wrote:A new thread to tell about some of our adventures at our new home.

500'????? Is this common?

J.M.
I'm not sure how common it is around here, though I heard of another one in the area being 600' deep.
We are in the mountains of the Shenandoah Valley, so that may play a part in the well depth.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ShantyShaker wrote:
I'm not sure how common it is around here, though I heard of another one in the area being 600' deep.
We are in the mountains of the Shenandoah Valley, so that may play a part in the well depth.
It's not unusual with mountain wells. A relative of ours has one 640' deep.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
ShantyShaker

Post by ShantyShaker »

God is so good!

This is now the third time since we live here that we came home from Church to find three banana sized boxes of prepared food (all appearing homemade) on our front porch.
Things like breakfast casserole, spaghetti, banana/apple/pumpkin breads, multiple kind of cookies, this time 2 hams, and a Christmas cake made with cheerios and m&ms.
Somewhere in our neighborhood is a really generous "good Samaritan"!
Hopefully we can "pay it forward" to someone else in the future.
We never expected to buy a property now yet, but God made it possible and keeps reminding us that he has it all under control.
0 x
ShantyShaker

Post by ShantyShaker »

And now a new challenge is facing us, my current employment is too slow to sustain our family's financial needs.
Please pray that the right opportunity would open up for us, I've put applications in several places. I do have one interview scheduled for a week from now, but we were hoping for something sooner.
Thank-you!
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

ShantyShaker wrote:And now a new challenge is facing us, my current employment is too slow to sustain our family's financial needs.
Please pray that the right opportunity would open up for us, I've put applications in several places. I do have one interview scheduled for a week from now, but we were hoping for something sooner.
Thank-you!
We most certainly will pray :pray
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)