US Thanksgiving

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

US Thanksgiving

Post by Robert »

[video][/video]
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: US Thanksgiving

Post by Bootstrap »

Hmmmm.

I had always thought we could just celebrate Thanksgiving without dragging it down into culture wars. Thanksgiving is not a political fight. That's not what the holiday is about.

Maybe we can focus on giving thanks, understanding the original history of the holiday, etc? For history of the holiday, I like this Backstory segment:

http://backstoryradio.org/shows/america ... anksgiving

But the history doesn't really fit into either side of the culture wars, it's messier than that, as history tends to be, and doesn't have a clean moral. And for the most part, the point of Thanksgiving is to give thanks, together in our families.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:Hmmmm.

I had always thought we could just celebrate Thanksgiving without dragging it down into culture wars. Thanksgiving is not a political fight. That's not what the holiday is about.

Maybe we can focus on giving thanks, understanding the original history of the holiday, etc? For history of the holiday, I like this Backstory segment:

http://backstoryradio.org/shows/america ... anksgiving

But the history doesn't really fit into either side of the culture wars, it's messier than that, as history tends to be, and doesn't have a clean moral. And for the most part, the point of Thanksgiving is to give thanks, together in our families.
I am confused. What does the history of the first Thanksgiving got to do with culture wars? This video reflects a lot of the facts about the first Thanksgiving that I have researched and found over the years. I think knowing the history helps.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:I am confused. What does the history of the first Thanksgiving got to do with culture wars?
I don't think it does. That's why I don't think the film had to spend the first 1 minute (out of a total of 5 minutes) putting it solidly in that frame. And I really don't think many Americans identify with the views he brings out in that introduction. It's emotional baiting.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote: I don't think it does. That's why I don't think the film had to spend the first 1 minute (out of a total of 5 minutes) putting it solidly in that frame. And I really don't think many Americans identify with the views he brings out in that introduction. It's emotional baiting.
So you spend your time comdemning the 1 minute and ignoring the 5 minutes of good? Such negativity. I am thankful for the good stuff in it and let the stuff that does not interest me go.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote: I don't think it does. That's why I don't think the film had to spend the first 1 minute (out of a total of 5 minutes) putting it solidly in that frame. And I really don't think many Americans identify with the views he brings out in that introduction. It's emotional baiting.
So you spend your time comdemning the 1 minute and ignoring the 5 minutes of good? Such negativity. I am thankful for the good stuff in it and let the stuff that does not interest me go.

Hmmm.

So ... what do you think the purpose of an introduction is? What do you think the emotional content of his introduction was? Did it help put you in the mood for Thanksgiving as you think we should approach it as Christians?

Anything that starts with baiting and picking a fight probably isn't the best way of approaching Thanksgiving.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Bootstrap wrote:Anything that starts with baiting and picking a fight probably isn't the best way of approaching Thanksgiving.
Well, feel free to post what you want and stop telling me what I should and should not post.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote:[video][/video]
Good one. :D :up: :clap:
Last edited by MaxPC on Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Robert wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Anything that starts with baiting and picking a fight probably isn't the best way of approaching Thanksgiving.
Well, feel free to post what you want and stop telling me what I should and should not post.
I guess it's because you're the moderator that you get to tell Boot what he should and should not post??? :?
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
Robert wrote:I am confused. What does the history of the first Thanksgiving got to do with culture wars?
I don't think it does. That's why I don't think the film had to spend the first 1 minute (out of a total of 5 minutes) putting it solidly in that frame. And I really don't think many Americans identify with the views he brings out in that introduction. It's emotional baiting.
I don't see it as 'emotional baiting' unless one is too sensitive to begin with- (which as Jesus prophesied, 'many will be offended' in the last of the Last Days and don't we witness this in our day?)

However, 'revisionist historians' like to paint a whole different picture of American history than what we are/were taught and cast Christianity in a bad light at every opportunity.

I appreciate the youtube & will share it- I think I don't like the way he calls many 'foolish' at the end- but Jesus and the Apostles often used harsh words to expose darkness & unfruitful behavior in people- so it's not out of line.

I think it's not necessarily a 'culture' war going on but an attempt to contend for the faith and realize that young minds are being led astray in school- and become teaching adults/parents & so it goes on and on-
0 x