Thanksgiving

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by temporal1 »

gcdonner wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:58 am :arrow: Thank you T1 for reviving this thread. 5 years without giving thanks?

Thanksgiving has a special meaning to my wife and I as her mother's family was here to greet her father's family when they arrived on the Mayflower. My wife is part Wampanoag and her father's family are descended from John Alden, one of the original "Pilgrims".
Whatever the exact circumstances were for that first thanksgiving, the point is that the Pilgrims and their new friends
took time to give thanks to God for his provision.

God used the Indians to help the 50% who survived the first winter :)
to be able to continue to survive after that.

We are grateful for all that our heavenly father has provided for us, especially for his son's willing sacrifice to deliver us from sin.

One of our traditions, being originally from Massachusetts (the home of Ocean Spray cranberries) is to have mock cherry pie. Not everyone likes it, but I do. My memory of it goes all the way back to my childhood gatherings with the extended family, when my grandmother would make it.

Blessings for this day y'all, from Holladay, Tennessee!

There’s been a lot of thanks giving since 2016, there are a few Thanksgiving threads since 2016. :)
i was looking for one started more recently by Robert, found this early one, and decided to use it.

This year, because of kidnappings in Haiti, heinous murders in Waukesha, unrest (normalized in media) i was having a hard time with thankfulness, typically easy for me at Thanksgiving ..

Reading and thinking about what these folks endured in their risky voyage, horrific by today’s standards, then, as you say,
loss of 50% of their numbers in their first year - on unwelcoming foreign soil - yet, with the natives they found it in their hearts to be thankful. Those who came before, with their abiding faith, put us to shame. Through faith, they model courage in brutal unsecure circumstances.

i was with my son+his wife in Michigan. Their first attempt at Thanksgiving dinner was a success. My son brined the turkey, my dear DIL baked an apple pie. They were nervous novices, but did well! Her parents were there, very pleased with their daughter’s courage in the kitchen! i thought of many wonderful Thanksgivings-past, and hope these 2 have many yet to come. We remembered those suffering in Haiti, and Waukesha, and elsewhere. We shared messages of hope.

We were able to speak with distant family, something not in any way possible for those in the first hundreds of years.

Years ago, i was touched to learn, when early believers set out on journeys that meant they probably would not return, they would coordinate their daily Bible studies/readings, so that, altho they weren’t physically together, they could be spiritually connected through their readings and faith. i thought this was GENIUS! they could not have done better.

with all we have, i’m not sure we do as well.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2022 🦃
1 x

UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

We try to celebrate thanks to God every day. However it is quite nice that family can have a few days off and visit. All thanks be to God.

May God bless you all with the memory of His Sacrifice and His Mercy.
1 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Happy Thanksgiving!
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

"We had a big Thanksgiving Dinner and didn't get up until the next morning, when we got a call from Officer Obie." (Arlo Guthrie, Alice's Restaurant Massacree.)
Well, we DID have a good Thanksgiving dinner, but I doubt if Officer Obie will come by, especially since we didn't go out looking for a place to dump some garbage.
1 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2023 ✝️

1 x

UNKNOWN
Falco Knotwise
Affiliation: Roman Catholic

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Here’s some interesting thoughts for this Thanksgiving.

Did you know the vital part played by Catholics in the first Thanksgiving?

Squanto the Indian, who was a translator between the Pilgrims and the local Indian tribes was a Catholic who had learned to speak English. He is the one who brokered peaceable relations between the Pilgrims and the local Indians. He also taught them how to fish, grow corn and introduced them to the fur trade. He served as their guide and translator.

It was also Squanto the Catholic Indian who arranged for that first Thanksgiving feast between the Pilgrims and the local Indians!

Did you know the state of Maryland was founded by a Catholic who was FOR religious freedom? The man who founded it was named George Calvert. Calvert had to resign his position in the English government due to his Catholicism. In the colony of Maryland (which he founded) he allowed Catholics to worship in one side of his own home and Protestants in the other!

(Articles on Squanto and George Calvert can be found on Wikipedia.)

:up:
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Falco Knotwise wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:07 pm Here’s some interesting thoughts for this Thanksgiving.

Did you know the vital part played by Catholics in the first Thanksgiving?

Squanto the Indian, who was a translator between the Pilgrims and the local Indian tribes was a Catholic who had learned to speak English. He is the one who brokered peaceable relations between the Pilgrims and the local Indians. He also taught them how to fish, grow corn and introduced them to the fur trade. He served as their guide and translator.

It was also Squanto the Catholic Indian who arranged for that first Thanksgiving feast between the Pilgrims and the local Indians!

Did you know the state of Maryland was founded by a Catholic who was FOR religious freedom? The man who founded it was named George Calvert. Calvert had to resign his position in the English government due to his Catholicism. In the colony of Maryland (which he founded) he allowed Catholics to worship in one side of his own home and Protestants in the other!

(Articles on Squanto and George Calvert can be found on Wikipedia.)

:up:
i try to keep Catholic missionaries in mind as i read history, i just viewed this below, it’s typical for Squanto’s experience to be described without being specific to Catholics, but, it makes sense that was the case.

George Calvert (?)
“Sir George Calvert, Lord Baltimore; April 14, 1632”
https://www.heritage.nf.ca/articles/exp ... l-1632.php

i wonder if he was related to some early Quakers?
“The history of the Calverts who were Quakers”
https://libcat.familysearch.org/Grouped ... esultIndex
1 x

UNKNOWN
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

temporal1 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 1:04 am i wonder if he was related to some early Quakers?
“The history of the Calverts who were Quakers”
https://libcat.familysearch.org/Grouped ... esultIndex
I really don’t know. Maybe . . . 🤔

We do know that Puritans, Quakers and Catholics were all persecuted by Queen Elizabeth. So, Puritans and Quakers were both fleeing from Virginia (named in honor of Queen Elizabeth) to Maryland because at the time Virginia was trying to force them all to become Anglicans.
0 x
Falco Knotwise

Post by Falco Knotwise »

Hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving!
0 x