Thanksgiving

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by Ernie »

We like to invite internationals to our house on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sometimes we also invite others without friends or family who they can spend the day with. We often try to visit our family and friends on other days of the year.
We often serve traditional foods at these meals. Internationals like the chance to be in an American home and experience the traditional foods. Depending on which country they are from, some foods like mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie are not a favorite.

There are a number of reasons for doing this on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We like seeing people enjoy themselves who would not otherwise have much social life on Thanksgiving and Christmas. We've heard from a lot of people who don't have faithful Christian relatives and friends that these days are hard for them. In most Plain Anabaptist churches, nearly everyone else in the church is either heading out of town or being with relatives nearby.
I got to experience this first hand years ago whenever I was part of a church with four patriarchs and their descendants. The four family trees did things with each other. Occasionally they would invite a single like me to their family get-togethers which was nice. Once I was married this didn't happen as much. So the rest of us who didn't have relatives in the area would do things with each other.
We have observed over the years that churches who want to grow their churches to be something more than ethnic Anabaptists, are intentional about making non-relatives apart of their social circle.

And when we doubt whether this is the right thing to do on Thanksgiving and Christmas, we remember these words of Jesus, and the doubts go away.
He also said to the one who had invited Him, “When you give a lunch or a dinner, don’t invite your friends, your brothers, your relatives, or your rich neighbors, because they might invite you back, and you would be repaid. On the contrary, when you host a banquet, invite those who are poor, maimed, lame, or blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
NedFlanders
Affiliation: CA

Post by NedFlanders »

Ernie wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:43 am We like to invite internationals to our house on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Sometimes we also invite others without friends or family who they can spend the day with. We often try to visit our family and friends on other days of the year.
We often serve traditional foods at these meals. Internationals like the chance to be in an American home and experience the traditional foods. Depending on which country they are from, some foods like mashed potatoes or pumpkin pie are not a favorite.

There are a number of reasons for doing this on Thanksgiving and Christmas.

We like seeing people enjoy themselves who would not otherwise have much social life on Thanksgiving and Christmas. We've heard from a lot of people who don't have faithful Christian relatives and friends that these days are hard for them. In most Plain Anabaptist churches, nearly everyone else in the church is either heading out of town or being with relatives nearby.
I got to experience this first hand years ago whenever I was part of a church with four patriarchs and their descendants. The four family trees did things with each other. Occasionally they would invite a single like me to their family get-togethers which was nice. Once I was married this didn't happen as much. So the rest of us who didn't have relatives in the area would do things with each other.
We have observed over the years that churches who want to grow their churches to be something more than ethnic Anabaptists, are intentional about making non-relatives apart of their social circle.

And when we doubt whether this is the right thing to do on Thanksgiving and Christmas, we remember these words of Jesus, and the doubts go away.
He also said to the one who had invited Him, “When you give a lunch or a dinner, don’t invite your friends, your brothers, your relatives, or your rich neighbors, because they might invite you back, and you would be repaid. On the contrary, when you host a banquet, invite those who are poor, maimed, lame, or blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous.
This is so true.

One intermediate church we attended as seekers from the world cancelled a service or two around Christmas because they all left to visit family. I attended a few more times after but my wife never went back.
0 x
Psalms 119:2 Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
Heirbyadoption
Affiliation: Brethren

Post by Heirbyadoption »

Josh wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:58 pmI also look forward to visiting a different church next weekend near Cincinatti. Does anyone know of plain Anabaptist presence beyond the Washington Co.-Franklin church in Washington Court House, OH or the German Baptists in Dayton?
Wondering if you were able to find another spot of plain Anabaptist presence in the Cinci/Dayton area over that weekend? We get through there a fair bit and I'm similarly curious who else might be in that area.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Heirbyadoption wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 11:34 am
Josh wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:58 pmI also look forward to visiting a different church next weekend near Cincinatti. Does anyone know of plain Anabaptist presence beyond the Washington Co.-Franklin church in Washington Court House, OH or the German Baptists in Dayton?
Wondering if you were able to find another spot of plain Anabaptist presence in the Cinci/Dayton area over that weekend? We get through there a fair bit and I'm similarly curious who else might be in that area.
I made this post around Thanksgiving 2016, when I went to visit my cousin in Cinci. I looked up churches in the area and the nearest one was the Holdeman presence near Washington C.H./Leesburg area.

I didn’t attend that weekend but noticed the Holdemans had a congregation also 25 minutes from where I lived at the time (Hartville, which also used to have OGBB’s and Dunkards, but sadly no more). I visited the next Sunday evening and eventually kept attending and became a member in 2018.

As far as I know. There isn’t a presence other than the very sizeable community in Dayton/Covington, the Holdemans and others around Leesburg, and the Delano type group in Winchester. There is a small CMC/RNoC outpost in Cinci but it isn’t plain. (There is also a CMC/RNoC outpost in… Bellefonte? that is plain, I really enjoyed visiting them one Sunday.)
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 12:55 pm There is a small CMC/RNoC outpost in Cinci but it isn’t plain. (There is also a CMC/RNoC outpost in… Bellefonte? that is plain, I really enjoyed visiting them one Sunday.)
Unfortunately I think both of those groups have disbanded.

Bellefonte is in PA, near State College. Bellefontaine is one of those shibbolethic towns that Ohio is known for.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited