Thanksgiving

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Thanksgiving

Post by temporal1 »

ken_sylvania wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:The "X" in X-mas (still pronounced "Christmas") is a taking into our alphabet the Greek "Chi" which looks like "X", the first letter of "Christ". To me it emphasizes Christ.
Thanks! I hadn't known that.
i just learned about this (last year) from MrJim. :D
i'm glad to know.
i have mixed feelings.

when i was a child (again, my father told me+sibs) -
"never use 'X' as a shortcut for Jesus Christ's name."
"for all Jesus did for us, we can take time to write out His name."

fathers, be careful what you say to your children! they are listening! :D

so, i love knowing about the roots. very much so.
i'm afraid, "shortcut" is the general public's understanding. on that, i'm with Dad.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

temporal1 wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:The "X" in X-mas (still pronounced "Christmas") is a taking into our alphabet the Greek "Chi" which looks like "X", the first letter of "Christ". To me it emphasizes Christ.
Thanks! I hadn't known that.
i just learned about this (last year) from MrJim. :D
i'm glad to know.
i have mixed feelings.

when i was a child (again, my father told me+sibs) -
"never use 'X' as a shortcut for Jesus Christ's name."
"for all Jesus did for us, we can take time to write out His name."

fathers, be careful what you say to your children! they are listening! :D

so, i love knowing about the roots. very much so.
i'm afraid, "shortcut" is the general public's understanding. on that, i'm with Dad.
Agreed! :up:
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

We'd better tell all those early Christians who wrote ΙΧΘΥΣ they weren't honouring Jesus by not writing out his "full name" (which would not be just "Christ" either, but would something like "Jesus the Christ, son of God, one who saves".)
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

looks like "Anne of Green Gables" will air this evening. ok.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote:looks like "Anne of Green Gables" will air this evening. ok.
it was a remake. :(
i nearly turned it off, but viewed it, anyway. it was ok.

i understand there is now an animation, this i would refuse to view.
the graphics i've seen look awful.

followed by a remake of Pollyanna.
also not the same.

it's hard to do remakes with actors-people so far removed from the sensibilities of the times they are trying to portray. not as convincing.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 pm Are you celebrating Thanksgiving?
If so, what's your favorite part of it?
What's your favorite/ signature dish?

i’m afraid tragic current events are making things difficult, i hope folks can find ways to have thankfulness together.

0 x

UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

This Sunday, I am preaching on Deuteronomy 8. And this just occurred to me - when we celebrate Thanksgiving in our family and in our church, it's not about pilgrims and Indians and a sanitized American origin story. Perhaps that's what some people object to?

To me, Thanksgiving is more about this:
11 “Be careful that you don’t forget the Lord your God by failing to keep his commands, ordinances, and statutes that I am giving you today. 12 When you eat and are full, and build beautiful houses to live in, 13 and your herds and flocks grow large, and your silver and gold multiply, and everything else you have increases, 14 be careful that your heart doesn’t become proud and you forget the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the place of slavery. 15 He led you through the great and terrible wilderness with its poisonous snakes and scorpions, a thirsty land where there was no water. He brought water out of the flint rock for you. 16 He fed you in the wilderness with manna, which your ancestors had not known, in order to humble and test you, so that in the end he might cause you to prosper. 17 You may say to yourself, ‘My power and my own ability have gained this wealth for me,’ 18 but remember that the Lord your God gives you the power to gain wealth, in order to confirm his covenant he swore to your ancestors, as it is today. 19 If you ever forget the Lord your God and follow other gods to serve them and bow in worship to them, I testify against you today that you will certainly perish. 20 Like the nations the Lord is about to destroy before you, you will perish if you do not obey the Lord your God.
I don't know another holiday that plays that same role.
3 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:37 pm 2016
KingdomBuilder wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 pm Are you celebrating Thanksgiving?
If so, what's your favorite part of it?
What's your favorite/ signature dish?

i’m afraid tragic current events are making things difficult, i hope folks can find ways to have thankfulness together.

After posting this, i read this:
The Pilgrims fled religious persecution and tyranny and believed in the possibility of self-government and the freedom to worship as they saw fit. It was outlandish, without precedent, and certainly not easy, but the courageous actions of those 102 souls established the DNA of the freedoms we enjoy in America today.

‘400 years ago, in the fall of 1621 when their labors were rewarded with a bountiful harvest after a year of sickness and scarcity,
the Pilgrims gave thanks to God. The 53 surviving settlers celebrated their bounty with a 3-day festival of prayer and invited their Native American friends to join them for a huge feast that has become known as the first Thanksgiving.’

For many, Thanksgiving serves as a reminder about how faith and gratitude can prevail, even in the face of hardship and loss. :D
Faith defies human reasoning.

So, as current divisive headlines do everything possible to destroy hope, Hope in Christ remains.
Prayers for those experiencing tragedy today. Prayers for Wisconsin, and Haiti. Prayers for God’s mercy.

There is wanton devastation of innocent lives by evil, by the corrupt, by the incompetent, by the complicit, all acting in unison for the purpose of harming. Prayers for converted hearts.

- - -

In Michigan, my still newlywed son+daughter-in-law will prepare their first Thanksgiving, turkey, dinner. :D
i pray they will have many more yet to come. :D
In Washington, my dear young granddaughter is grieving the loss of her constant companion kitty, who, after a couple of years of fragile life, had to be put to sleep last night. i doubt the child can remember a day without her patient, loyal friend. she was able to say goodbye to her dear pet. Thankfully, they have some family visiting to help with the sadness. (It wasn’t planned to coincide.) But it’s working for the best.
0 x

UNKNOWN
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Post by gcdonner »

Thank you T1 for reviving this thread. 5 years without giving thanks?
Thanksgiving has a special meaning to my wife and I as her mother's family was here to greet her father's family when they arrived on the Mayflower. My wife is part Wampanoag and her father's family are descended from John Alden, one of the original "Pilgrims". Whatever the exact circumstances were for that first thanksgiving, the point is that the Pilgrims and their new friends took time to give thanks to God for his provision. God used the Indians to help the 50% who survived the first winter to be able to continue to survive after that.

We are grateful for all that our heavenly father has provided for us, especially for his son's willing sacrifice to deliver us from sin.

One of our traditions, being originally from Massachusetts (the home of Ocean Spray cranberries) is to have mock cherry pie. Not everyone likes it, but I do. My memory of it goes all the way back to my childhood gatherings with the extended family, when my grandmother would make it.

Blessings for this day y'all, from Holladay, Tennessee!
2 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

One thing I think we find in the NT is that believers are not to expect if or when or how another believer is to regard one day above another, Romans 14:5. I believe whatever one decides about regarding one day above another, each day we should live as unto the Lord.

When it comes to Sundays, this is generally known as the first day of the week and I personally don't have any issue with the Seventh Day belief to be the day of rest. It would seem to me that imposing this on another believer though could be suspect.

YMMV.
2 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit