Flannel shirts

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Re: Flannel shirts

Post by Wade »

temporal1 wrote:how many wives do you have, Wade?
that does sound expensive. :)
:shock: thank you for catching that... :oops:

I have and have only had one wife. :D :lol:
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:
justme wrote:
Josh wrote:I hope some day we restore the custom of making men's clothes like we do women's. It is an important part of our lives and something worth maintaining control over.
why is making men's clothing an important part of "our life?"
Because otherwise we cede control to an industry and a group of people at complete odds with our values.
Cede control of what, exactly? For menswear at least, it's not that difficult to find modest clothing in classic styles at reasonable prices. I'm not sure I need or want more control than that.

For those of us with fewer wives than Wade, making our own clothes seems like a difficult, time-consuming, entirely unfulfilling chore with little chance of success. Possibly even a direct violation of Jesus' teaching to take no thought about what to wear.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Wade wrote:
temporal1 wrote:how many wives do you have, Wade?
that does sound expensive. :)
:shock: thank you for catching that... :oops:
I have and have only had one wife. :D :lol:
thank you for indulging me. could not resist.
i felt pretty secure about your response. you have a lovely family.
ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:
justme wrote:why is making men's clothing an important part of "our life?"
Because otherwise we cede control to an industry and a group of people at complete odds with our values.
Cede control of what, exactly? For menswear at least, it's not that difficult to find modest clothing in classic styles at reasonable prices. I'm not sure I need or want more control than that.

For those of us with fewer wives than Wade, making our own clothes seems like a difficult, time-consuming, entirely unfulfilling chore with little chance of success. Possibly even a direct violation of Jesus' teaching to take no thought about what to wear.
hey you guys. stop ceding control. :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I think having our clothing made by slave labour overseas is not very close to kingdom living.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:I think having our clothing made by slave labour overseas is not very close to kingdom living.
Soon the jobs will be brought back, we'll be having our clothing made by underpaid domestic workers instead, and the overseas labour will be worse off than ever. Then again, the Donald J. Trump Signature Collection of menswear is made in Mexico, so maybe overseas will become overwall. That could be a revival of a rural fashion trend, flannel shirts and overwalls.

As a practical matter, if every Mennonite on the planet refused to buy clothing made in Bangladesh (assuming they are the worst offender, and since the country of origin is usually labeled but the use of slave labour is not), would that actually have any affect, let alone a positive one, on the workers in question?

If we are concerned about Bangladeshis, and we should be, it might be more productive to support CAM's microfinance program, or my friend in Thailand who mentors Bangladeshi church planters, or EMM's efforts in preaching peacemaking to policemen.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I wonder if for men's clothing we should be more simple and conservative, going back to the clothing of Jesus' time, with simple tunics or albs. Very easy to make. Image
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

JimFoxvog wrote:I wonder if for men's clothing we should be more simple and conservative, going back to the clothing of Jesus' time, with simple tunics or albs. Very easy to make. Image
OSHA would never allow.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:
JimFoxvog wrote:I wonder if for men's clothing we should be more simple and conservative, going back to the clothing of Jesus' time, with simple tunics or albs. Very easy to make. Image
OSHA would never allow.
Well, back in Jesus' time, men just took their garments off when they were working, which would be OSHA compliant...
0 x