Sunscreen

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Sunscreen

Post by Bootstrap »

Now that I've had my first skin cancer removed, and some pre-cancerous growths, I am beginning to wear sunscreen - especially when I run.

Sunscreen can be expensive, and prices vary wildly. There are different views on what works well and what does not. What sunscreens do you use, and why?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Sunscreen

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I have a long sleeve "sun shirt" that is great. NO-AD has been the staple sunblock in our home forever.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I have a long sleeve "sun shirt" that is great. NO-AD has been the staple sunblock in our home forever.
My face seems to be the part that needs the most protection. I do like hats and high-UPF clothing for other parts of my body. Running, long sleeves are usually a bit much.

What do you like about No-Ad?
0 x
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Bootstrap wrote:Now that I've had my first skin cancer removed, and some pre-cancerous growths, I am beginning to wear sunscreen - especially when I run.

Sunscreen can be expensive, and prices vary wildly. There are different views on what works well and what does not. What sunscreens do you use, and why?
Long pants, shirt and broad brimmed hat.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Now that I've had my first skin cancer removed, and some pre-cancerous growths, I am beginning to wear sunscreen - especially when I run.

Long pants, shirt and broad brimmed hat.
It's almost as if we are supposed to be clothed since the fall. :lol:
Maybe a beard would help with the face? ;)
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote: What sunscreens do you use, and why?
I use a beard. Doesn't cost anything and saves on razor blades. I also use a sun screen umbrella when golfing.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

I don't, because sunscreens have carcinogenic ingredients. So I hear.

For a mountain hike in Africa in February (summer!), I covered my arms, hot or not. But my hands were not protected, and got burned, straight to brown, no pink or red; when they got wet later, the skin sloughed off in sheets. Ick. But I hadn't known the hike would be well over five hours, or I would have taken better precautions.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:I have a long sleeve "sun shirt" that is great. NO-AD has been the staple sunblock in our home forever.
My face seems to be the part that needs the most protection. I do like hats and high-UPF clothing for other parts of my body. Running, long sleeves are usually a bit much.

What do you like about No-Ad?
My sister has used good sunscreen and avoids the sun as much as she can. Yet she has had several skin cancer surgeries, mostly on face-
I've heard sunscreen isn't good for you either- so it is difficult to make some choices here- my husband is supposed to wear it whenever he's exposed to the sun, and so we get the #50 for babies/children- feeling like it may be safer- however, he has had surgeries several times as well so our conclusion is to cover up and avoid much exposure- at least direct for any length of time- I see the Swartzentruber Amish doing their hard work outside with long sleeves, vests, hats- and the women out in the fields to with their long sleeves and in their case, really large black bonnets- a lot of folks have to run before the sun is really up these days- or at night I've noticed.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Clothes, hats, and picking the right time of day are all good. I have a broad-brimmed hat that I have used for hiking for many years now, and another brimmed hat with a cloth that covers the neck.

Time of day is also good - and that works for me 2 out of 3 days that I run. The EPA has an app that shows UVA and UVB spectrum ultraviolet light, and it's really only my long run that I have to worry about. But that can be 2-3 hours, and it can be hot. I usually do that on single track trails with lots of shade. I sweat a lot, I get pretty warm.

For a long run, I probably do need sunscreen on my face, where the cancers have been. They also recommend sunglasses, but I don't see how that works on single-track trails, where I really have to be able to see clearly to avoid rocks and roots and poison ivy and such. I don't understand the ingredients that well, and there seem to be disputes about what is good.

My beard ... is not up to the task.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Best protection out there other than clothing.... wait for it.... Mud.

I won't judge you for wearing hats. :mrgreen:
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat