Now Irma: Super-cane

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Now Irma: Super-cane

Post by ken_sylvania »

NWS National Hurricane Center
NWS wrote:Irma is an extremely impressive hurricane in both infrared and
visible satellite images. Experimental GOES-16 one-minute visible
satellite pictures show a distinct 25-30 n mi wide eye with several
mesovortices rotating within with eye. The aircraft have not
sampled the northeastern eyewall where the strongest winds were
measured shortly before 1200 UTC this morning, but the Air Force
plane will be entering the eye in that quadrant momentarily. A peak
SFMR wind of 154 kt was reported, with a few others of 149-150 kt.
Based on these data the initial intensity is set at 155 kt for this
advisory. This makes Irma the strongest hurricane in the Atlantic
basin outside of the Caribbean Sea and Gulf of Mexico in the NHC
records.
0 x
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

ohio jones wrote:That's a rather generous interpretation of "verbatim" and "NWS", but thanks.
The National Hurricane Center is a part of the National Weather Center. Does one of their tweets count as "verbatim?" Or should that be some kind of ver-tweetem?;) ;)
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Okay. Well if you want to provide a link, I'd like to read. If not... Then okay... :?
Looking to start an argument again? You have Google like everyone else. You should try listening instead of arguing. You'll be a better Christian for it.
Who took offense? Who is accusing the other person of being an inferior Christian? Who is accusing the other person of having wrong motives? Who turned this into an argument? To me, this looks like a passive-aggressive strategy for starting an argument and blaming it on the other person in the same breath.

I think KingdomBuilder is doing his best to be respectful, and asking questions is an active form of listening. It's how we arrive at truth together.
MaxPC wrote:It's been called the strongest storm ever on record.
By whom? How are they defining that? Feel free to say you were speaking loosely or tell us who is saying it or whatever. But giving and taking offense just leads to arguments. And if we are going to discuss whether it is the worst storm in history or not, it would be nice to know the basis for the claim.

Surely asking for that is not being argumentative. If it is, then we'll have to abandon trying to figure out what is true when we discuss things. I think it's important to protect the right to ask questions like this.

So can we drop the argument and allow the conversation to continue?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

I think the thing we need to remember here is that they are reporting its the strongest hurricane in Atlantic Basin... Not the Gulf. Now will it be the strongest storm to hit Florida? highly unlikely... The cycle is roughly about every 50 years or so for a major cat 5 to hit the coast of Florida. If its a Cat 5 when it hits, it will have lost a lot of power at least and be closer to 155mph. Most hurricanes do not strike that strong and its a little rare. That being said, the hurricane is a major threat and evacuation is a must.

I lived in New Orleans through several tropical storms and at least one Cat 2. I've also been on the beach when a Depression hit... nothing like those winds blowing your tent over.

As for the inevitable climate argument, is it from climate change? maybe, but our hurricane records are spotty before the 1900s and tracking increase of storm severity is a highly subjective field with little long term data.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Soloist wrote:I've also been on the beach when a Depression hit... nothing like those winds blowing your tent over.
That sounds like a story worth hearing in a little more detail ...
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

we went fishing in grand isle maybe in 1997...not sure on the date. Likely happened in early august. I know I was rather young. 9-12 or so. My older brother and I were in a one person tent and the rest of my family in a 3 person tent. We loved fishing for catfish and I can't remember if we just didn't know about the storm or if we were slightly considered crazy. I seem to recall being told it was 60mph winds that night, we almost got blown away by the winds, our one person tent lost all the anchors and if it was just me... I would have been in a moving tent. A quick check that would have been a tropical storm... I was young then :P Other then really strong winds and some heavy rain overnight there wasn't anything to write home about.

Other storms I was there for was a cat 2 hurricane, we stayed in New Orleans for that. Two foot of water everywhere and my dad had to walk home from work. a suburban was buried in water at an underpass he walked by. I can remember wanting to float boats in it but being forbidden because of the sewage.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

ken_sylvania wrote:
ohio jones wrote:That's a rather generous interpretation of "verbatim" and "NWS", but thanks.
The National Hurricane Center is a part of the National Weather Center. Does one of their tweets count as "verbatim?" Or should that be some kind of ver-tweetem?;) ;)
NHC is one of the NCEPs, which is part of the NWS, which in turn is part of NOAA. NHC's web site is nhc.noaa.gov, so telling someone to google a quote from the NWS is not very helpful, since "strongest storm ever on record" site:weather.gov currently finds no results. Does Google even find tweets?

It's somewhat like telling someone "I drive a GM car" or "I drive a yellow Pontiac Aztek." Both could be correct, but one is significantly more helpful in locating the vehicle in question.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

It's sad how certain individuals who call themselves Christians love to nitpick and argue in disaster scenarios just because they want to undermine someone. The NWS has said its the strongest storm in their records - verbatim. It's far better to heed that and get people out of danger than to cause confusion and possible loss of life just because of those who engage in selfish arguments. We'll pray they mature into higher and holier priorities.

The Latest: the governor of Florida has arranged for cell phone carriers to provide additional hotspots to enable access for those evacuating the state to use gas apps to find gasoline stations that still have gas available. He's also arranged for extra gasoline deliveries to facilitate evacuation: shortages have been hindering the evacuation.

He's asked airlines to avoid raising their rates: one has agreed.

He's also activated their National Guard and other emergency service agencies. He is articulating procedurals for keeping electric power on as long as possible.

This is the most coordination and preparation I've ever seen in Florida. I'm glad they aren't chancing these threats. We're keeping them in prayer.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania

Post by ken_sylvania »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Sorry, typo there. NHC is a subgroup of the National Weather Service. The National Weather Center is a totally different group. Thank you Bootstrap for pointing that out!
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

MaxPC wrote:It's sad how certain individuals who call themselves Christians love to nitpick and argue in disaster scenarios just because they want to undermine someone. The NWS has said its the strongest storm in their records - verbatim. It's far better to heed that and get people out of danger than to cause confusion and possible loss of life just because of those who engage in selfish arguments. We'll pray they mature into higher and holier priorities.
We've seen this before. After starting an argument an blaming it on KB, Max now goes on to claim his own status as the mature Christian denouncing all those nasty people who call themselves Christians, but ask him to provide a link for a claim he makes. And in the meantime, he repeats the claim without providing any evidence for it.

How dare anyone question anything Max says, no matter how respectfully! People will die! They must not be real Christians! They just want to undermine him! Seriously?

This is toxic passive-aggressive behavior. It's not fair to KingdomBuilder, who was not starting a fight at all. I don't think it's going to cause anyone to die, but we don't need this. Giving and taking offense doesn't prove the claim one way or another. Provide a link or don't, but please stop doing this.
Last edited by Bootstrap on Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x