Now Irma: Super-cane

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Now Irma: Super-cane

Post by MaxPC »

Hurricane Katia in the Gulf is on the verge of becoming a Cat 3 and will hit Mexico tomorrow. Mexico just experienced an 8.1 earthquake that also triggered a tsunami.

Busy season.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Valerie wrote:Is this God doing all this? 11 states on fire (and into Canada)
Hurricanes
Mexico just had an 8.1 earthquake-

Coincidence?
Global warming?

God????
I know quite a few who feel that this event (and others past, like Katrina) were are exposition of God's wrath. I don't see how that view aligns with the New Covenant mode of operation.
Not talking about Valerie, just talking about what I've heard from friends and relatives.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

KingdomBuilder wrote: I know quite a few who feel that this event (and others past, like Katrina) were are exposition of God's wrath. I don't see how that view aligns with the New Covenant mode of operation.
Not talking about Valerie, just talking about what I've heard from friends and relatives.
My problem with the Katrina storm being God's wrath deals with Bourbon street being left high and dry. If it truly was God's wrath, why did the epicenter of sin in New Orleans be left high and dry?
The rain falls on the just and the unjust.

Also, some people don't really think about it, but new orleans is about 7 foot under water and sinking. Also we diverted the Mississippi river. The original French city there was built on solid ground and no diverting of the river. In other words, the French quarter was built with planning. Most hurricanes are so destructive because of where we chose to build. A coastal resort built in 10 year flood zone is destroyed by flood waters... who would have thought that would happen? most of these destructive things happen to houses built in 100 year or less flood zones.
This isn't really any different then people building on major fault lines. You reap what you sow.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Here's the current projected path of the storm from the National Hurricane Center, which gives a pretty good idea what is supposed to hit where when.
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 11.01.54 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 11.01.54 AM.png (284.26 KiB) Viewed 393 times
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

These graphics shows the probabilities of high winds hitting various places.

74 mph or more (hurricane force):
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 11.13.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 11.13.19 AM.png (170.02 KiB) Viewed 389 times
39 mph or more (tropical storm force):
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 11.03.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-09-08 at 11.03.48 AM.png (211.74 KiB) Viewed 389 times
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Irma and the two following it.

0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Great photo, Robert. It shows the sheer size of Irma relative to Katia and Jose. All of our friends and family are safe from the storm, thanks be to God.

12 minutes after the 8.1 quake, an aftershock of 5.7 hit. There have been approximately 13 aftershocks. 30 counted dead so far. The quake was strong enough to have people fleeing in Mexico City, which is 650 miles away from the epicenter.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

Hurricane Jose is now Cat 4. It's moving closer to Irma.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote:We read through Amos today-

Is this God doing all this? 11 states on fire (and into Canada)
Hurricanes

Coincidence?
Global warming?

God????

I heard someone blaming the devil for the weather-
But Amos, prophet of God, refers weather situations to God-
Do people even consider Him anymore in all this? I don't know-
I recommend viewing this sermon on how the OT appears to be saying that God does terrible things in on-going judgment on humanity (like an Irma) and how this understanding of God is so unlike Jesus who is the true picture of God. As Greg puts it 'God is Love' and so looking at what the OT writers wrote must be viewed as not as literal as it, at that time, appeared. Jesus comes along to reflect what God is truly about.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:
Valerie wrote:We read through Amos today-

Is this God doing all this? 11 states on fire (and into Canada)
Hurricanes

Coincidence?
Global warming?

God????

I heard someone blaming the devil for the weather-
But Amos, prophet of God, refers weather situations to God-
Do people even consider Him anymore in all this? I don't know-
I recommend viewing this sermon on how the OT appears to be saying that God does terrible things in on-going judgment on humanity (like an Irma) and how this understanding of God is so unlike Jesus who is the true picture of God. As Greg puts it 'God is Love' and so looking at what the OT writers wrote must be viewed as not as literal as it, at that time, appeared. Jesus comes along to reflect what God is truly about.
I know a lot of people are at least thinking about God right now that don't usually give Him much thought- God's wrath will be poured out on mankind in the end- and He will save His Bride- Jesus will appear in a way He had not before- we will see a side of them, He did not reveal when He came to seek that which was lost- but regarding these weather situations, I hope that people are at least turning their cares into prayers-

I'm mindful of 9/11 which that anniversary is coming- and churches were full for about 6 months, then business as usual- so it is when people feel safe again, but I do see a lot of comments about this on social media- people wondering- flooding, hurricanes, major earthquake, 11 states on fire- all at the same time- they seem to be 'talking about it' in light of Divine Providence-
0 x