Problems with Public Schools

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.

What's the main problem with public school?

Total votes: 0

KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Problems with Public Schools

Post by KingdomBuilder »

MaxPC wrote:KB, why do you want to turn this thread on public schools into a Catholic bashing? That's not kind nor even like Christ. Your operating off of a bigotry that's been perpetuated in Hollywood and mass media. I'm Catholic and you're not. I don't bash your efforts at discipleship. In fact I've always encouraged the Anabaptist mission. Why not try to be more open and kind to other Christians and listen to how they seek to be disciples?
Sorry for wording things in a way you've evidently taken as a personal attack. This has nothing to do with that.

I'm very aware that I'm not Catholic. I have catholic family, many who go/ have gone to Catholic school, and one of my parents went to Catholic school. They talk to me and yes, I believe them.
Let me be blank: I would never send my kid to Catholic school. I'm not going to expand on this, as I don't wish to continue this tangent, Max.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Where I live, the alternatives to public schools are Catholic schools and politicized Evangelical schools ("God and my country, one and the same"). Kids really want to be like their peers and their teachers, and I'm going to have some significant disagreement with any of these schools. If we are aliens in a strange land, this land does not have schools that speak our language.

For me, a lot of it comes down to the individual school. And as a parent, it's hard to know individual schools that well. With my youngest, there are reasons I would not have sent her to her high school if I had known.

So I have a lot of sympathy for homeschoolers or churches that have their own schools. I also have a huge amount of respect for teachers who choose to be salt and light to the vast majority of children, who are not in those settings.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Hmmmm, I think Max suggested that sexual abuse was a big reason not to send your children to Catholic schools. KB mentioned that Catholic schools have also had problems with this. I suspect it's impossible to prove which system has a worse problem, and I suspect a debate about that isn't helpful. On the other hand, if you say Catholic schools are the safe place to send your children if you are afraid of sexual abuse, I think what KB said is relevant.

Then again, I think there has been sexual abuse in Mennonite schools too.

Instead of debating who is worse, perhaps it's better to acknowledge that this is a huge concern, even if we create Christian schools, and that public schools are not the only ones wrestling with this?
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:Instead of debating who is worse, perhaps it's better to acknowledge that this is a huge concern, even if we create Christian schools, and that public schools are not the only ones wrestling with this?
I agree. I do think some church groups implement models of schooling that may be more conducive to fostering/ covering up sexual abuse.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:Instead of debating who is worse, perhaps it's better to acknowledge that this is a huge concern, even if we create Christian schools, and that public schools are not the only ones wrestling with this?
I agree. I do think some church groups implement models of schooling that may be more conducive to fostering/ covering up sexual abuse.
So I think the real lesson is this: when you send your kid to a school, ask what they are doing to make sure that sex abuse does not happen or is quickly discovered if it does, and how they avoid protecting teachers to make schools look good. If the answer is "trust us, it could never happen here", that's cause for concern.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:So I think the real lesson is this: when you send your kid to a school, ask what they are doing to make sure that sex abuse does not happen or is quickly discovered if it does, and how they avoid protecting teachers to make schools look good. If the answer is "trust us, it could never happen here", that's cause for concern.
I agree.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
MaxPC wrote:KB, why do you want to turn this thread on public schools into a Catholic bashing? That's not kind nor even like Christ. Your operating off of a bigotry that's been perpetuated in Hollywood and mass media. I'm Catholic and you're not. I don't bash your efforts at discipleship. In fact I've always encouraged the Anabaptist mission. Why not try to be more open and kind to other Christians and listen to how they seek to be disciples?
Sorry for wording things in a way you've evidently taken as a personal attack. This has nothing to do with that.

I'm very aware that I'm not Catholic. I have catholic family, many who go/ have gone to Catholic school, and one of my parents went to Catholic school. They talk to me and yes, I believe them.
Let me be blank: I would never send my kid to Catholic school. I'm not going to expand on this, as I don't wish to continue this tangent, Max.
Please don't be blank, you may be blunt if you want to.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

children / kids.
at this moment, i am attempting to relay to my 9 year old, just beginning public school 4th grade, granddaughter, that she is a child, and not a baby goat. :D

i see "kid" has become the "go to" label now .. along with "kiddos."
i'm not a purist. i tell her i use both labels, not kiddos, but prefer the more respectful, "child." i tell her children deserve respect. i also tell her, teens are children, too! it's not a "baby" word. :D

we are dealing with it in a light hearted, but, realistic way, too.
she loves animals, so, it's easy to discuss.

before this forum, i didn't think about it. now, i do. thank you. :D
i'm glad. i think it's worth thinking about.

i like sharing the concept with her that people deserve respect, and, children are people, too.

we met her teacher this week.
she's taught for 11 years, i believe. she's memorable, with purple-dyed hair and arm tattoos.
i've been told she is an "awesome" teacher. so far, the word, "awsome" seems to fit about everything the teachers+staff have to speak about. i haven't noticed the children using the word, but, presumably, they will learn all the hep language. i definitely get the message that "hep" is important at this happenin' school.

time will tell.
i'm thankful for the K-3rd grade years at the imperfect Catholic school. :)
it was not a perfect experience, but, as the OP poll reflects, the imperfections were largely brought in with children affected by the worldly culture around them, including in their homes.

parents with problem children often seek out faith based schools or private schools - to "straighten their children out." this is nothing new. it is a burden on schools, teachers, and other students.
with so many laws that restrict discipline, schools are often blamed for "doing nothing" about problems .. but, what is their choice?! if they don't face formal litigation, they still may endure internet lynch mobs.

it's sad.
both of my children would have made great teachers.
after college, i asked them about it. they both said, "no way." (for above reasons.)
most of their friends decide likewise.
we have friends whose children did go into teaching, quitting after one semester, or at year's end.

it's really sad.

my take away from the Catholic school experience is: i'm grateful for those years.
even with the bad things (brought in by students) .. somehow, the teachers, priest, elders, managed to get through to my granddaughter. she was drawn to the good like a magnet, was able to minimize the bad.

i am so thankful for her experience. now, i pray we can be effective in carrying the good, and the godly, forward. :) it's a bit scary right now.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

No more talk of Catholic schools, please.
Start a new thread if desired.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

temporal1 wrote:children / kids.
at this moment, i am attempting to relay to my 9 year old, just beginning public school 4th grade, granddaughter, that she is a child, and not a baby goat. :D

i see "kid" has become the "go to" label now .. along with "kiddos."
i'm not a purist. i tell her i use both labels, not kiddos, but prefer the more respectful, "child." i tell her children deserve respect. i also tell her, teens are children, too! it's not a "baby" word. :D

we are dealing with it in a light hearted, but, realistic way, too.
she loves animals, so, it's easy to discuss.

before this forum, i didn't think about it. now, i do. thank you. :D
i'm glad. i think it's worth thinking about.

i like sharing the concept with her that people deserve respect, and, children are people, too.

we met her [public school 4th grade] teacher this week.
she's taught for 11 years, i believe. she's memorable, with purple-dyed hair and arm tattoos.
i've been told she is an "awesome" teacher. so far, the word, "awsome" seems to fit about everything the teachers+staff have to speak about. i haven't noticed the children using the word, but, presumably, they will learn all the hep language. i definitely get the message that "hep" is important at this happenin' school ..

parents with problem children often seek out faith based schools or private schools - to "straighten their children out." this is nothing new. it is a burden on schools, teachers, and other students.
with so many laws that restrict discipline, schools are often blamed for "doing nothing" about problems .. but, what is their choice?! if they don't face formal litigation, they still may endure internet lynch mobs.

it's sad.
both of my children would have made great teachers.
after college, i asked them about it. they both said, "no way." (for above reasons.)
most of their friends decide likewise.
we have friends whose children did go into teaching, quitting after one semester, or at year's end.

it's really sad ..
better? :-|

i'm not delighted to have to discuss purple hair and tattoos with our 9 year old.
but, that's what is on our plate. right now.
i pray not to have a "Valley girl" speaking child by the year's end. i pray not.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN