The 2024 Garden Thread!

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

The 2024 Garden Thread!

Post by steve-in-kville »

Need some opinions. I am planting some dwarf canna bulbs again this year. I have some from last year plus I ordered a few new varieties. Our last frost date is May 15 but I've had stuff in the ground way before that. If I am putting these in containers, how early would you risk planting these?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: The 2024 Garden Thread!

Post by Soloist »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:01 am Need some opinions. I am planting some dwarf canna bulbs again this year. I have some from last year plus I ordered a few new varieties. Our last frost date is May 15 but I've had stuff in the ground way before that. If I am putting these in containers, how early would you risk planting these?
If you are putting them in containers, you have the advantage of being able to move them if you have a frost.
I’d plant them now and keep them in doors and when your average temp is above 60 during the day, you could let them stay outside during the day and night provided it doesn’t freeze.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville

What surprised me a bit was last fall I dug up the bulbs and stored the containers with the soil in the basement. I must have missed a bulb as we had one come up in the basement. The children put the containers on the porch and the canna continues to grow.

I have a few rare varieties on the way so I don't want to plant too early and risk loosing them.
0 x

QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Post by QuietlyListening »

I agree with Soloist- if they are in containers- plant them, put them out on warm sunny days and bring in at night or bring in if even a chance of frost. Our last frost date is May 10 and usually I put things in around mid April unless we are expecting a freeze and we keep our eyes pinned to the forecast when planting etc. Can also cover if not too big a drop.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Home Depot got a lot of my money this weekend. Filled the trunk of the car with bagged potting soil, but it's gonna take another load once I plant everythying.

I think I will wait until mid-April to get those bulbs in the ground. I have a few more bulbs on the way. I think I ordered a white dwarf canna that I am looking forward to.
0 x

Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

Planted garden today. Peas, potatoes, onions, shallots, carrots, beets, lettuce, spinach, radishes, swiss chard & kale.

Its supposed to rain overnight so everything should be off to a good start.

The strawberries are blooming.

Had the first picking of asparagus for supper last evening.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 11:10 am Home Depot got a lot of my money this weekend. Filled the trunk of the car with bagged potting soil, but it's gonna take another load once I plant everythying.

I think I will wait until mid-April to get those bulbs in the ground. I have a few more bulbs on the way. I think I ordered a white dwarf canna that I am looking forward to.
I went to a local landscape business and had them bring a large truck of topsoil when we put in our garden a few years ago. It cost only a third of the local Lowe’s or Home Depot and they brought it to the house. I bought bulk compost and worm castings from them in recent years and they delivered them too. We are planting onion sets, marrows, green beans, leafy greens such as romaine, swedes, and beets.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville

FB_IMG_1713944210066.jpg
1 x

steve-in-kville

Got all my cannas potted up. Plan to buy a few tomato plants this weekend, aiming for Cherokee Purple or Old German. We have a local greenhouse that typically had plenty of heirloom varieties.
1 x