Shanty Shaker family moving

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Shanty Shaker family moving

Post by RZehr »

I'm glad you are done being renters and are going to be moving to your own house! I've also been renting for quite a few years and have bought a property and we are intending to build. I'm very much looking forward to owning instead of renting.
0 x
ShantyShaker
Affiliation: BMA

Post by ShantyShaker »

Thursday marked getting the last things from our former residence, and now to finish getting things into place here.
The children are adjusting well, the younger ones loving getting into the powdery dirt in the lean-to shed as a sandbox of sorts.
I've been sleeping better too as the stress decreases!
0 x
Former user name: C&MJ
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

RZehr wrote:I'm glad you are done being renters and are going to be moving to your own house! I've also been renting for quite a few years and have bought a property and we are intending to build. I'm very much looking forward to owning instead of renting.
A friend of mine, whose name is familiar to all on this board, was inspired by the testimony of Peter Waldo who didn't want to own any property and so he deeded his house to his wife.
My friend (who I think takes much better care of his wife than what Waldo did) decided to follow Waldo's example in this and deeded his house to his wife as well.
I've toyed with the idea of buying a property and deeding it to my wife, but have not yet become convinced that this is what God is asking me or the majority of Christian men to do.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Ernie wrote:
RZehr wrote:I'm glad you are done being renters and are going to be moving to your own house! I've also been renting for quite a few years and have bought a property and we are intending to build. I'm very much looking forward to owning instead of renting.
A friend of mine, whose name is familiar to all on this board, was inspired by the testimony of Peter Waldo who didn't want to own any property and so he deeded his house to his wife.
My friend (who I think takes much better care of his wife than what Waldo did) decided to follow Waldo's example in this and deeded his house to his wife as well.
I've toyed with the idea of buying a property and deeding it to my wife, but have not yet become convinced that this is what God is asking me or the majority of Christian men to do.
That seems like a shell game to me.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

If Waldo couldn't convince his wife not to own property, I'm not sure he's going to persuade me.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Did Waldo consider his wife as a non-person? I share my house with my wife, mortgage and all.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Hats Off wrote:Did Waldo consider his wife as a non-person? I share my house with my wife, mortgage and all.
Agreed. Another thought: in the American legal system he will lose the right to live there should his wife die first unless she named him as her sole heir which involves an attorney and legal fees in many places. That would make him an owner yet again should she die first. I'm sure his motives are well meaning but it doesn't seem logical in light of planning for the future in today's American society.

Perhaps he would consider joining the Hutterites if he doesn't want to own property? There the colony owns the property, not its members.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

As far as owning property goes - if you think you own a piece of real estate, just try not paying taxes on it for a couple years and see who really owns it!
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

ken_sylvania wrote:As far as owning property goes - if you think you own a piece of real estate, just try not paying taxes on it for a couple years and see who really owns it!
I was going to say something along that too. Ownership is really nice, but when it comes to land it seems quite true to say that we are only stewards for the time being. Simply taking care of it for the next person. You can't move it. You can't hide it. It doesn't generally wear out like clothes or buildings or equipment.
I'm speaking not in respect to any Bible teaching, just from a human real life perspective.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:As far as owning property goes - if you think you own a piece of real estate, just try not paying taxes on it for a couple years and see who really owns it!
I was going to say something along that too. Ownership is really nice, but when it comes to land it seems quite true to say that we are only stewards for the time being. Simply taking care of it for the next person. You can't move it. You can't hide it. It doesn't generally wear out like clothes or buildings or equipment.
I'm speaking not in respect to any Bible teaching, just from a human real life perspective.
Absolutely true. It's also a reminder that a fancy home isn't needed, just a weather tight home (coming from an old man who lives in a used motorhome :lol: )
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God