Gadgets - Home+Garden

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
gcdonner
Affiliation: Anabaptiluthercostal

Re: Gadgets - Home+Garden

Post by gcdonner »

Neto wrote:
gcdonner wrote:... things that apply in heavy coats don't dry very quickly and often don't cure well. ....
I know nothing at all about this particular product, but it is my understanding that if a product cures chemically (and not through the evaporation of thinners or solvents, etc), then it should cure all the way through in a reasonable time.
Thinners and solvents are part of the mix in paints, unless they are water based, ie latex.
0 x
Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed
rightly dividing the word of truth
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

gcdonner wrote:
Neto wrote:
gcdonner wrote:... things that apply in heavy coats don't dry very quickly and often don't cure well. ....
I know nothing at all about this particular product, but it is my understanding that if a product cures chemically (and not through the evaporation of thinners or solvents, etc), then it should cure all the way through in a reasonable time.
Thinners and solvents are part of the mix in paints, unless they are water based, ie latex.
I was thinking of paint compositions like those, in contrast to epoxy paints, or like Imron, the kind that you have to use within a certain period of hours.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

A service i've been reading a little about, know very little, except they intend to be competition for Amazon ..
jet.com
http://www.jet.com

i have placed one order with them, got a good price (garden supplies) esp when i increased quantity, and free shipping, on orders over $35. o. i also googled+found a discount offer for being a new jet customer. one offer is a discount on your first 3 orders! i did not see it quickly enough!

Try using code: TRIPLE15 at checkout, for 15% off your first 3 orders. :D

good job. delivered as promised.
i intend to use them when i can. so far, they don't have quite the range of items Amazon offers .. but, considering they're so new, they are off to a respectable start.

personally, i'm glad to see Amazon have some competition. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

It does indeed cure chemically. The important thing is to follow the directions too. I pressure washed the decking and replaced any boards that were too deteriorated. Also this product has an ideal window of temps for application: too hot or too cool is not going to allow a proper cure. Once dry it resembles that spray on bed liner used in pick up trucks.

A neighbor had put it on his deck ~8 years ago and it still looks new.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

gcdonner wrote:I have an acquaintance in Canada that used that stuff on his deck and the very next season had to strip it all off as it was cracking, chipping and peeling. He was not a happy camper. (pun intended Max)
MaxPC wrote:Also this product has an ideal window of temps for application: too hot or too cool is not going to allow a proper cure.
I suspect that's the whole problem; it needs to be at least 50 degrees for 72 hours. The record high for the whole of Canada is 45 degrees in 1937.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

ohio jones wrote: I suspect that's the whole problem; it needs to be at least 50 degrees for 72 hours. The record high for the whole of Canada is 45 degrees in 1937.
:rofl:
I think according to the manufacturer when used in Canada temps of 10-32 degrees for 72 hours are considered acceptable. :)
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

temporal1 wrote:Propane Weed Torch

i use to have one. i think someone borrowed, never returned?
thinking about buying another.

i have mixed feelings.
it's easy to use. :D

effective?
well, living on the prairie, knowing how burning fields (to promote plant growth!) is used, i'm not convinced this method has much value.

is it a weed killer? or weed propagator? :lol:

after watching this video, tho, maybe i was not spending enough time on each weed, letting the heat/flames get to the roots? probably not. if i try again, i'll have to watch for that. that could become tedious.

also, it's suggested as a non-chemical method for weed removal.
but, it uses propane. so? :?

i agree with the guy in the video, it's useless for winter ice removal from walkways.
May work for "lone wolf" weeds, but long tap roots, root systems, and extensive underground runners with some species will simply send up a new growth. They've got enough stored energy to overcome a couple scorchings.

I vote it a "no go". Even if it does work decently on some species, it's such a limited gadget in terms of multi-function that it's hardly worth the time or money IMO
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:May work for "lone wolf" weeds, but long tap roots, root systems, and extensive underground runners with some species will simply send up a new growth.
They've got enough stored energy to overcome a couple scorchings.

I vote it a "no go". Even if it does work decently on some species, it's such a limited gadget in terms of multi-function that it's hardly worth the time or money IMO
yes. this describes my experience with the one we had, that disappeared. i didn't jump to replace it. i've had a lot of things disappear, since my husband died.

the weed torch.
the reason i'm thinking about it now, is -
my long asphalt driveway, maybe 150', now fairly cracked, is riddled with dead grass/weeds.
i sprayed about half of it before i left over the summer, ran out of time, had to leave the rest.

when i returned, all these were evenly dead. some kindly neighbor must have sprayed the lower half (?) i have not yet received a bill or a word about it.

soon we'll have ice+snow.
i take care of/shovel most of it, hire help when it's too deep for me.

all those little dry growths will cause shoveling problems. unsightly, too.
i'm wondering how to clear them.
the torch might burn them down enough to take care of that?
i'm not sure what would do better.
0 x

UNKNOWN
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

temporal1 wrote:the reason i'm thinking about it now, is -
my long asphalt driveway, maybe 150', now fairly cracked, is riddled with dead grass/weeds.
i sprayed about half of it before i left over the summer, ran out of time, had to leave the rest.
If it's just in cracks in asphalt, I think you should try dumping a hefty amount of salt and vinegar in the cracks. That'll permanently "nuke" the soil right around those cracks without causing runoff from synthetic herbicides.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
temporal1 wrote:the reason i'm thinking about it now, is -
If it's just in cracks in asphalt, I think you should try dumping a hefty amount of salt and vinegar in the cracks. That'll permanently "nuke" the soil right around those cracks without causing runoff from synthetic herbicides.
thank you. sounds like a plan.
should i use full strength vinegar, cheapest available, with table salt, ice salt? does it matter?
proportions?
use an ordinary watering can?

this problem worsens each year, more cracks, more weeds.
0 x

UNKNOWN