Price of beef

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Price of beef

Post by RZehr »

It’s been a while since I bought beef.
I bought half a steer from my neighbor. Hanging weight was 554 pounds for half.
$1 per pound for the butcher and $3 for the farmer. $2,216 for half a beef. Insane.
I’m not complaining, it’s just ridiculous how high beef is.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Price of beef

Post by Ernie »

$4 a pound is a good price in our area for grass fed beef.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Not sure what world RZehr has been living in - that's a very good price and it has been for several years. In 2019, ground beef averaged about $4.19 in a typical American grocery store.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

This is the first beef that I've boughten in this way for quite a few years. I suppose 10+ years? Prior to this one, I think we pretty much killed our own beef. I know that live cattle prices hit all time highs this last year, and really haven't returned.
Last edited by RZehr on Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

RZehr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:26 pm It’s been a while since I bought beef.
$1 per pound for the butcher and $3 for the farmer. $2,216 for half a beef. Insane.
How do they figure hanging weight? You need to pay $4/lb for bones and fat and meat? So if you only wanted the meat. So you may have gotten say, 360 pounds of meat? And your effective price per pound of edible beef is now something over $6.

Or am I figuring wrong?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:39 pm This is the first beef that I've boughten in this way for quite a few years. I suppose 10 years? Prior to this one, I think we pretty much killed our own beef. I know that live cattle prices hit all time highs this last year, and really haven't returned.
I paid $600 for a heifer calf and then a year later $1,000 for a bull calf. With those kind of prices, I'd have to charge a lot if I ever slaughtered them. Admittedly they are special breed but the era of being able to buy quality calves cheap is over.
0 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Signtist wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:40 pm
RZehr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:26 pm It’s been a while since I bought beef.
How do they figure hanging weight? You need to pay $4/lb for bones and fat and meat? So if you only wanted the meat. So you may have gotten say, 360 pounds of meat? And your effective price per pound of edible beef is now something over $6.

Or am I figuring wrong?
That is the idea, yes. Hanging weight is the carcass in the cooler with the meat, fat and bones, it is not the packaged weight of meat that you'd get at the store.
Last edited by RZehr on Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:41 pm That is the idea, yes. Hanging weight is the carcass in the cooler with the bones, it is not the packaged weight of meat that you'd get at the store.
We've been buying "soup bones" at the store, so we're getting awfully close to buying every part of the hanging weight.
0 x
eccentric_rambler
Affiliation: NMB->Ultra

Post by eccentric_rambler »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:41 pm Admittedly they are special breed ...
So special we can't know what they are?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

eccentric_rambler wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:43 pm
Josh wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:41 pm Admittedly they are special breed ...
So special we can't know what they are?
Well, they aren't $5 Holstein newborn bull calves. Which would be a cheaper way to get steers. I wasn't sure the breed was that relevant to the discussion.
0 x