Heating and power outages

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Heating and power outages

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:56 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:36 am We have two gas fireplaces that will work in the event of a power outage as long as there is gas coming to the house. And natural gas supply is rarely interrupted by normal power outages.
Unless you're in Texas
Thankfully I'm not still in Texas :lol:
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:33 am
Ken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 10:36 am We have two gas fireplaces that will work in the event of a power outage as long as there is gas coming to the house. And natural gas supply is rarely interrupted by normal power outages.
Unless you're in Texas
Maybe not, but nearly every thread ends up there anyway. I think it's a corollary of Godwin's law or something. :)
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:36 pm

Unless you're in Texas
Maybe not, but nearly every thread ends up there anyway. I think it's a corollary of Godwin's law or something. :)
Texas is a strange place. It is where all schoolkids from K-12 recite a pledge to the Texas Flag every single day after the regular pledge of allegiance. And it is the only place I have ever seen where HS kids will fly a giant Texas flag from the back of their pickup trucks and college kids will hang it in their dorm rooms. When was the last time you saw a HS kid from Ohio or Oregon do such a thing?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

The Ohio State flag, sure. The Ohio state flag, not so much.
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ken wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:46 pm
ohio jones wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:36 pm

Texas is a strange place. It is where all schoolkids from K-12 recite a pledge to the Texas Flag every single day after the regular pledge of allegiance. And it is the only place I have ever seen where HS kids will fly a giant Texas flag from the back of their pickup trucks and college kids will hang it in their dorm rooms. When was the last time you saw a HS kid from Ohio or Oregon do such a thing?
Now that you mention it, I don't think I ever have seen the young folks from OH or OR hang Texas flags in their dorm rooms.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

We have our winter camping gear so we'd be OK, but an extended power outage would cause pipes to freeze. We could close off our kitchen and have water heating on our gas stove, but the oven doesn't work without electricity, nor does our furnace.

I don't think we've had more than two or three days without power and have been fine.
0 x
Somebody
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Somebody »

We have natural gas heaters that work while the electricity is off. The furnace won't work without electricity, though. The gas stove works but the oven doesn't.

We do have a generator we can use if we need to run things with electric.
0 x