Poll: Saving Paper and...

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.

Check all that apply... ("we" refers to your household)

1. Any backs of printer/copier paper that are not printed on, we discard or send to the recyclers.
No votes
2. We save some and dispose of the rest to trash or recyclers.
1%
3. We save some papers that are not printed on the back and sometimes print/copy something on the back.
13%
4. We save some papers that are not printed on the back and sometimes write handwritten notes on the back.
16%
5. We save some papers that are not printed on the back and use them for children to draw or write on.
9%
6. We save some printer/copier paper for starting fires, lining pet boxes, etc.
9%
7. We wash and reuse some quart size or smaller ziploc bags.
17%
8. We save some twist ties to reuse.
17%
9. We often send items to the recyclers.
7%
10. We rarely send items to the recyclers.
11%

Total votes: 70

QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: Poll: Saving Paper and...

Post by QuietlyListening »

I've also heard cautions about using paper towels with a printed design, especially in color. It may be best to use the unprinted side, or a Plain paper towel.
When we began composting we went to plain white paper towels and napkins as they go into the compost too. But I too had heard those warnings.
1 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:09 am
Grace wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:08 am
Neto wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:59 am

Wait.... How do you use newspaper to fry bacon? :?
Yes, please explain.
We put the bacon on the newspaper after frying to drain off the grease 8-)
Maybe one layer of paper towels (or napkins from fast food meals to go), then the newspaper underneath, to soak up what gets through the paper towels?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

QuietlyListening wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:30 am
We put the bacon on the newspaper after frying to drain off the grease
Interesting. We put ours on paper towels to drain it and then compost the paper towels.
Not sure about food going directly on news print/paper.
Maybe 50 years ago, that could have been a concern.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

steve-in-kville wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:54 am
Interesting. We put ours on paper towels to drain it and then compost the paper towels.
Maybe 50 years ago, that could have been a concern.
I sometimes get a sort of allergic reaction while reading the newspaper. I think it might be the solvent in the ink - maybe not completely dry yet. But I reckon that would all dissipate by the time you used it for draining the bacon. (I also use newspaper for packaging material, and my hands are always black when I get done.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

ohio jones wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:52 am
I've also heard cautions about using paper towels with a printed design, especially in color. It may be best to use the unprinted side, or a Plain paper towel.
Lancaster Farming is (or used to be) printed using soy-based ink.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I have no idea how, but we are down to filling up barely one trash can a week between 4 adults, 2 children, plus 1 worker who is at the office full time. We used to have 4 trash cans total. (One of those adults believes in only using paper plates, etc. so he can avoid doing dishes.)

We do recycle all cardboard boxes to use to ship other items. Things that can be burned cleanly I burn now which has beneficial effects for animals (they like to come near it and rid themselves of insects). But that’s not that much stuff, basically wood scraps, paper, twigs, etc.

Kitchen garbage we tried to make a compost pile but the calves and chickens could get to it and apparently they will eat kitchen garbage faster than we can produce it. And I mean ALL of it. There isn’t a shred of anything left, not even coffee grounds. Just dirt.

My biggest complaint is single use plastics. Can’t really burn them cleanly, they don’t biodegrade but instead turn into zillions of tiny plastic bits. They’re harmful animals and people. So they have to be bagged and put in the rubbish.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

ken_sylvania wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:34 pm Lancaster Farming is (or used to be) printed using soy-based ink.
If they would use potato-based paper (yes, this is a real thing), they could call it the Farmer's Digest.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited