Rafting Excursion

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Rafting Excursion

Post by Sunbeam »

Maybe y'all would enjoy following two of our boys on facebook. They built a raft from wood and barrels in my garden, and along with two friends of theirs put in at the top of the Tennessee/Tombigbee Waterway and are rafting to the Gulf of Mexico.
A few days ago we, and the parents of the other two boys, helped take the whole conglomeration of stuff and humans down there and the dads and the boys reassembled the raft on the river on Monday. About 7:30PM they pulled out and began their voyage.

https://www.facebook.com/4crazyboys/
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Rafting Excursion

Post by lesterb »

My daughter's jealous and my wife is not.
:mrgreen: 8-)
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

I think it would be so much fun!
I am hoping maybe we can take it down the Savannah at least for a few days, sometime when they get home. Maybe next summer, or this fall.... we will see.

They plan to be gone nearly a month.
Last edited by Sunbeam on Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Sunbeam wrote:I think it would be so much fun!
I am hoping maybe we can take it down the Savannah at least for a few days, sometime when they get home. Maybe next summer, or this fall.... we will see.
My girls love that kind of thing. My wife doesn't. It has contributed to some of her grey hair, I suspect.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

What a perfect summer adventure!
It gladdens my heart to know that memories are still being made of innocent ambition and fun. It reminds me of reading Huckleberry Finn
:up:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

lesterb wrote:
My girls love that kind of thing. My wife doesn't. It has contributed to some of her grey hair, I suspect.
I can't picture your father in law floating to the Gulf of Mexico on a home made raft.
0 x
lesterb

Post by lesterb »

Hats Off wrote:
lesterb wrote:
I can't picture your father in law floating to the Gulf of Mexico on a home made raft.
Nor my mother in law, for that matter. I used to dream of doing that kind of thing, but it never happened...
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

Actually from some stories I have heard I am guessing there was a day that you mother-in-law would of enjoyed such an adventure and perhaps your father-in-law as well.

Sunbeam. I have been following your son's trip and while I cannot say it would be for me at least for a whole month I still could enjoy it for a week maybe. I am curious to know their exit strategy when they get down to the big wide mouth in the Mobile area. I have crossed the river down in that area and it is no longer a lazy stream. :)
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

Well, the lazy stream aspect of their trip was never in their original plans. They originally planned to raft the Mississippi. They got a good bit of information from a group of guys who made a similar raft and rafted the Mississippi with it, and blogged about it.

I asked my one son your question. He said they have talked to a number of people who have navigated that river and they have not gathered that they think there will be any problem. But I reckon if they get to where the current is getting to be a bit much for them they can terminate their trip and call it done! They have no definite agenda other than making it to the Gulf of Mexico, but this whole enterprise is a very flexible (and colorful) endeavor.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i'm glad you thought of posting here.
what an experience! :D
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN