Should backyard eggs be washed before storage and/or use, and why?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.

Should backyard chicken eggs be washed prior to storage and/or use?

YES
17%
NO
33%
MAYBE
8%
IT'S COMPLICATED
42%

Total votes: 12

mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Should backyard eggs be washed before storage and/or use, and why?

Post by mike »

I have heard many times that backyard eggs should not be washed before storing or even using them. I always find this pretty interesting, shall we say. We have backyard chickens and use a lot of eggs. I also sell backyard chicken eggs in my store. So, here this is a poll and discussion thread. Do you think that backyard eggs should be washed? Vote, and discuss why or why not.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Should backyard eggs be washed before storage and/or use, and why?

Post by RZehr »

Yes. This is America, not Europe.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

mike wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:35 am I have heard many times that backyard eggs should not be washed before storing or even using them. I always find this pretty interesting, shall we say. We have backyard chickens and use a lot of eggs. I also sell backyard chicken eggs in my store. So, here this is a poll and discussion thread. Do you think that backyard eggs should be washed? Vote, and discuss why or why not.
Not before storing but possibly before use.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

My grandmother never washed them, she didn't refridgerate either. They sat out in the chicken coop in a gallon coffee tin straight through the Georgia summer. When she needed some, she walked out and brought them in.
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

I'm for washing eggs. We wash ours the day they are gathered (unless the kids aren't doing their job). The idea that they last longer in storage if not washed is moot for us, because we put them in the fridge and use them in short order, probably in a week or two max. I have seen where folks never wash them, and I can hardly stomach to eat eggs with chicken manure on them that were cracked on the edge of the pan. This is flat-out disgusting in my opinion.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike

Post by mike »

barnhart wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:46 am My grandmother never washed them, she didn't refridgerate either. They sat out in the chicken coop in a gallon coffee tin straight through the Georgia summer. When she needed some, she walked out and brought them in.
Eggs have a certain shelf-life without being refrigerated. What I can't understand is why not washing them would extend that shelf life, which is what some people claim.
0 x
wesleyb

Post by wesleyb »

RZehr wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:38 am Yes. This is America, not Europe.
I'm curious about what difference you see between America and Europe

Is their climate or distribution system that different?
Are they willing to accept a greater risk of contamination?
Or are you seeing it as a cultural practice that doesn't really need a reason?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 8:35 am I have heard many times that backyard eggs should not be washed before storing or even using them. I always find this pretty interesting, shall we say. We have backyard chickens and use a lot of eggs. I also sell backyard chicken eggs in my store. So, here this is a poll and discussion thread. Do you think that backyard eggs should be washed? Vote, and discuss why or why not.
I always heard that too. The claim was that they stay fresh longer if you do not wash them due to some coating on the eggs. I no longer have chickens, but when I did, I did not wash the eggs before storage unless they ... um ... clearly needed washing.

But I did wash them before using them.

Was that based on science? Well, no. It's what people around me said.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

What we were always told was that if you wash them it will strip the coating. So if you wash, refrigerate.
This is in connection with the fact that commercially they’re washed with bleach to whiten them I believe.
What we always did as well was float test before we cracked them.
That worked pretty well except with goose eggs… float test don’t work on them.
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

We always did.

As far as refrigeration, I'm told that the US is the only first-world country that refrigerates eggs. Perhaps someone can verify that?
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!