Clean Energy Costs More Money

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Clean Energy Costs More Money

Post by RZehr »

Got a telemarketing phone call today from my electricity utility provider. They told me that the electricity I use in my house is mostly generated by coal and natural gas. And that I could enroll in a program that would allow me to only use clean, renewable electricity from solar and wind (didn't mention hydro). Since all the electricity is fed into the same grid, I'm not sure how they can ensure that the electricity that I use comes from any special source.

And they estimate that this would only increase my electricity bill by $20-$30 per month. Increase. Not decrease. I told them that I couldn't care less how my electricity was generated.

Would you pay $20-$30 more per month to use solar and wind power?
1 x
QuietlyListening
Affiliation: Anabaptist @ baptist

Re: Clean Energy Costs More Money

Post by QuietlyListening »

Interestingly enough my sister pays more for her energy that is supposed to be all clean energy. Not sure, as you said, how they can guarantee that since like you said again it is all on the same grid but guess it is their way of saying you are helping them to get more clean energy? She does 'realize' she isn't getting clean energy necessarily but for her it makes a difference but then again she is retired and has expendable income. Not everyone does.
Not sure I would pay more- however we have solar panels and put much of our energy back on the grid or use it directly- depending on time of day etc. And yes- we actually pay very little for energy but have very energy efficient home and do solar hot water and other things
But not sure I'd pay for 'clean energy'.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 2:08 pm Got a telemarketing phone call today from my electricity utility provider. They told me that the electricity I use in my house is mostly generated by coal and natural gas. And that I could enroll in a program that would allow me to only use clean, renewable electricity from solar and wind (didn't mention hydro). Since all the electricity is fed into the same grid, I'm not sure how they can ensure that the electricity that I use comes from any special source.

And they estimate that this would only increase my electricity bill by $20-$30 per month. Increase. Not decrease. I told them that I couldn't care less how my electricity was generated.

Would you pay $20-$30 more per month to use solar and wind power?
I would not and I am sure other retirees on limited incomes would not either. It seems suspicious too as you wisely observed that it all electricity is fed through the grid. The fact they called you tells me that there is a possibility that this is a scam.

If I were in your position, I would call my electricity provider and let them know about the phone call. If it is a scam, they can help to get law enforcement involved.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

MaxPC wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:50 pm
I would not and I am sure other retirees on limited incomes would not either. It seems suspicious too as you wisely observed that it all electricity is fed through the grid. The fact they called you tells me that there is a possibility that this is a scam.

If I were in your position, I would call my electricity provider and let them know about the phone call. If it is a scam, they can help to get law enforcement involved.
This is Oregon… it’s not a scam
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

This is the program they were offering me. They said that they didn't need any of my information to enroll me in the Blue Sky program, since they had it already. All they needed was my verbal consent to be enrolled.
https://www.pacificpower.net/savings-en ... nergy.html
They frequently send me emails, and regular mail, informing me of this wonderful program. I'd heard of it before. But this is the first time they called me to try to sell me on it.

This is sort of like someone offering to sell me non-chlorinated, non-fluoridated water for more money. But then telling me that they will simply pipe it into the same city water system that is chlorinated and fluoridated.
1 x
RZehr

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:55 pm
MaxPC wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 4:50 pm

This is Oregon… it’s not a scam
Well not in the traditional sense any way.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

In Texas we had a ridiculous choice of dozens upon dozens of different energy providers, each with a variety of different plans based on how long you wanted to lock in your rates and so forth. Some were cheaper if you conserved more, some were cheaper if you were a heavy user, and so forth.

All told, I probably had 500+ individual plans to choose between from all the different dozens of providers. You really had to do your research because some had lower rates by higher fees. I usually picked up clean energy plan and locked in the rate for as long as possible even if it was slightly higher than a plan with lower rates but that was not locked in. I never noticed that the clean energy plans were more expensive but it is so hard to tell because of all the hidden fees and different plan features. Some people a few years ago who were not locked into fixed rate plans got enormous bills when they had that big freeze and power outage. So I would never do a variable rate plan, even if it is cheaper.

Here in the greater Vancouver WA area we have one public power utility that services the whole region and one set rate for everyone. No shopping to do. It is pretty low and mostly renewable (wind and hydro) so I'm fine with it. Rates are lower than OR I think. Since it is a public utility, no one is making a profit and there are no stockholders. I think it works fine.

Oregon sounds like it is less crazy than Texas but you still have choice unlike Washington.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

I like the choice I have for electricity in TX.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Some door to door salesman who was otherwise dressed similarly to an electric company repairman was going door to door to "update" our "electric plan". I told him I am currently happy with my electric bill and would prefer it not to have surprises where it goes up, and he moved right along.

Switching to a "green" plan doesn't change how your electric is generated. It's still generated the exact same way... it's not like you suddenly have your wires hooked up to solar panels or something.
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Thu Sep 21, 2023 9:40 pm I like the choice I have for electricity in TX.
My sole-source taxpayer-owned public utility here in Clark County Washington charges me 8.16 cents kWh. https://www.clarkpublicutilities.com/ab ... ter-rates/ For electricity that is 2/3 carbon neutral (hydro, nuclear, wind) and 1/3 fossil fuel (natural gas).

Back in Waco where we used to live there are dozens of choices in the deregulated private energy market with prices ranging from 11.1 cents kWh to 18.2 cents kWh. https://www.choosetexaspower.org/electr ... RfEALw_wcB

I'll take my lack of choice over those choices any day.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr