Spousal Influence

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Spousal Influence

Post by Neto »

I decided to pull this inquiry out of the Politics forum.
The background:
Valerie wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:07 pm
Neto wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 1:34 pm Just a question for the politically involved folks:
My wife is one of those, and she watched the debate last night. I stood there and watched parts of it, and the thought occurred to me as to how much a spouse can affect the attitudes and thought processes of "leaders", or just people in general.
What do you all know about the spouses of the current candidates?
And, a provocative thought, Do wives influence their husbands in these ways more than the opposite? (I think of how Rasputin influenced Czarine Alexandra, and how she in turn, influenced Czar Nicholas II, bringing, I would say, destruction to their family.)
Excellent question. Think Pilate's wife, what if he would have taken her advice?

What do you advise as the best way to learn as much as possible about their wives?

We saw the debate, I see all the candidates there as pretty strong and I question how much a wife (or husband) would make a difference-

In the case of Trump who was not there, I see little if any Inluence for his positions politically.

I felt pretty good about a few of them- leani g towards one I've admired quite awhile if not Trump.

Clearly, whoever was in the audience, had strong support for Trump. So these candidates are walking a fine line if/when they criticize him.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: Spousal Influence

Post by Neto »

I think that Pilate's wife (Procula Claudia?) DID influence him in his dealing with Jesus, but not to a degree that it saved him from his ruin.

On the political side, I think that various of the US presidents' wives influenced them in some way - Nancy Reagan?

But in the personal realm, how much have you been influenced (in your thinking, your degree of 'conservativeness', etc) by your spouse?

In your opinion, which has the greater influence, a wife, or a husband? (Obviously it depends on a lot of variable factors, but in general.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Sliceitup
Affiliation: Keystone, for now

Post by Sliceitup »

Neto wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:00 pm
But in the personal realm, how much have you been influenced (in your thinking, your degree of 'conservativeness', etc) by your spouse?

In your opinion, which has the greater influence, a wife, or a husband? (Obviously it depends on a lot of variable factors, but in general.)
I think both my spouse and I have been greatly influenced by each other in a multitude of ways. I think the greater influence will vary from one relationship to another.

I think one of the big influences is usually just the general family dynamics. Some people have had a much healthier family dynamic than their spouse did, and that is a huge impact.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

i’ve long thought part of God’s plan in which (married) men are leaders, is that with marriage, two become one, mutual influence is built-in, altho not in a legalistic way. The same could be said about females, formal leaders or not. Romans 14:7

“No man is an island.”
John Donne
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN