Selling Blueberries? .. or, maybe not.

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Re: Selling Blueberries? .. or, maybe not.

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Bootstrap wrote:
Josh wrote:Back on topic, I'm surprised at how many people think it's a really great thing that the government is restricting one business's ability to sell blueberries because the owners of that business have an unrelated activity of renting out their home for weddings and don't allow gay weddings.
I really wonder if that can hold up in court. I hope not.
It may not hold up in court, but it does put fear into Christian business owners. In the end that's what this is all about, to put social and financial pressure on people to accept an agenda - a new social structure. Call it the "new morality" - it started with "What two people do in their own bedroom is their own business" and has become "What two people do with their Bed and Breakfast is our business".
1 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
Bootstrap wrote:I really wonder if that can hold up in court. I hope not.
It may not hold up in court, but it does put fear into Christian business owners.
Sure, and I think we are in a season where the courts are going to have to figure out how to balance the rights of Christians against the rights they have recently created for gay marriage. I think this case is pretty blatant, there are others that are a lot trickier.

We will be seeing some of that at the Supreme Court level this fall, but it is going to take years for this to work itself out in court. Wedding photographers and wedding cake makers are some of the first cases working their way up. Watch and pray.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Bootstrap wrote:Sure, and I think we are in a season where the courts are going to have to figure out how to balance the rights of Christians against the rights they have recently created for gay marriage. I think this case is pretty blatant, there are others that are a lot trickier.

We will be seeing some of that at the Supreme Court level this fall, but it is going to take years for this to work itself out in court. Wedding photographers and wedding cake makers are some of the first cases working their way up. Watch and pray.
And eventually, even the most lukewarm types of evangelicals will find themselves at odds with being able to coexist with the government and its edicts.

They might as well go all the way, become nonresistant, and quit waving the flag around.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:And eventually, even the most lukewarm types of evangelicals will find themselves at odds with being able to coexist with the government and its edicts.
I suspect we will see a split, with some accommodating (like the Sadducees), others finding isolated places to be pure (like the Essenes), and others trying to live a pure life while still engaging in the political process (like the Pharisees). Maybe we'll even see a few Zealots ...
Josh wrote:They might as well go all the way, become nonresistant, and quit waving the flag around.
I hope so.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Wayne in Maine wrote: It may not hold up in court, but it does put fear into Christian business owners.

In the end that's what this is all about, to put social and financial pressure on people to accept an agenda - a new social structure.

Call it the "new morality" - it started with "What two people do in their own bedroom is their own business"
and has become "What two people do with their Bed and Breakfast is our business".
in slightly different words, i think of it as the "consenting adults" phenomena.
in my experience, "consenting adults" began in the 1960's, took hold in the 1970's, along with all the things happening just then. birth control pills, free love, et al.

i honestly believe most Christians who were (and are) convinced of this (human) reasoning, also sincerely believed, "this would be it;" this would be the final solution to "make everyone happy."
more, that, "making everyone happy," is the all-important goal.

not unlike attempting to appease a nagging child with a new toy, only to find, the toy is not the answer! the child is not satisfied, and simply nags for more. everyone's unhappy. :(

this is all human reasoning, Jesus Christ is not at center.

what will happen in courts remains to be seen.
there seems to be some "pendulum swinging" to traditional decisions.
as should be expected.
"Formally stated, Newton's third law is: For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
The statement means that in every interaction, there is a pair of forces acting on the two interacting objects. The size of the forces on the first object equals the size of the force on the second object."
Newton's Third Law - The Physics Classroom
The Physics Classroom › class › Lesson-4
although Christians are the primary target, by the world, and by Christians, this is a false premise.
so false, i sometimes wonder if Christians do not think of "others?" esp not moral others.

these particular PC mores have never been universally accepted as normal+desirable, not on any continent, culture, religion, with few exceptions. Ancient Greece being the go-to example. notably not contemporary.

Christians are the easy target.
the importance of forgiveness and turning the other cheek, et al. ..
"The path of least resistance is the physical or metaphorical pathway that provides the least resistance to forward motion by a given object or entity, among a set of alternative paths.
The concept is often used to describe why an object or entity takes a given path."
Path of least resistance - Wikipedia
Wikipedia › wiki › Path_of_least_resista...
.. but, Christians have no obligation to be fools or foolish.
in truth, the obligation is opposite of foolish.

"Fools, Characteristics Of"
https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/ ... ristics-Of

i am foolish. in constant need. weak. :(
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN