Autism support in the conservative circles?

A place to relate, share, care for, and support one another. A place to share about our daily activities and events around the home.
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Autism support in the conservative circles?

Post by Soloist »

I've been looking around and getting mixed signals on support from the churches around... no offense to those involved, but family members are confusing and saying opposite things in terms of support.

I have a severely autistic child and my family needs support dealing with the difficulty of raising a special needs child.

Is there any Anabaptist programs or churches that actually could help with a severely autistic child for either school or in home support? I'm interested in anything but I'd prefer conservative of some sort. Not sure I could even consider moving but even just talking and gathering information would be helpful.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Autism support in the conservative circles?

Post by temporal1 »

praying for you to receive direction and practical suggestions for your child.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I can't answer your question, but one thing I heard recently was that getting a pair of noise cancelling head phones really helped. (As I understand, it is difficult for a child with autism to filter out background noise, so it becomes a confusing & overwhelming crescendo of noise. So the headphones help reduce that to manageable levels. Is it the same with other types of sensory perceptions, like touch?)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

My opinion is that currently we don't do this specifically for autism well, but we are trying to get better - mostly because autism seems to be becoming more common.

Overall I'd say look for a place that is generally pretty supportive. One thing to look for is a good school which can help with the other kids so you are more free to focus on your autistic child, or have time to drive them around to community resources.

To put in a pitch for my area: we have an excellent autism centre in Akron, Ohio and a cornucopia of conservative churches around and schools as well.
0 x
MattY
Affiliation: Beachy

Post by MattY »

I don't know of such a program to help autistic or special needs children among conservative Anabaptists; that doesn't mean there isn't one, just that I don't know of one. I imagine some churches would be more helpful and supportive than others. So I'm not helpful for you, I'm afraid.

For adults with special needs or developmental challenges, recently a ministry to help them has been started. My dad is on the board and has been heavily involved in the construction and remodeling of the facility.

http://www.olivebranchleetonia.com
Olive Branch Ministries is a faith-based, non-profit organization offering residential services, training in daily living skills, and social services to adults with developmental challenges. Our over-riding goal is to see each of our residents discover and mature in a meaningful relationship with their Creator, that their lives would bring ultimate glory and honor to God; the purpose for which they were created!
0 x
Almighty, most holy God
Faithful through the ages
Almighty, most holy Lord
Glorious, almighty God
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Not surprising that doing things the world’s way instead of God’s way, and the way of nature he created, can have such disastrous effects.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Josh wrote:
Not surprising that doing things the world’s way instead of God’s way, and the way of nature he created, can have such disastrous effects.
That is always true, but in this case not necessarily a direct cause and effect.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Wow. Unfortunately this is a fairly significant case for autism having a genetic basis.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: